Story Poster
Photo by Liz Parke - Big 12 Conference
Oklahoma State Football

Big 12 "Open for Business" When It Comes to Conference Expansion

July 13, 2022

ARLINGTON, Tx – The Big 12 Conference officially introduced new commissioner Brett Yormark to the media first thing Wednesday morning, the first day of Big 12 Media Days at AT&T Stadium.

Because Yormark doesn’t officially take over the position until August 1, there wasn’t too much information he could give inquiring minds of the media present. However, he did give a look into the mindset of the future leadership group.

“We are exploring all options, and we're open for business,” Brett Yormark said of possible expansion. “Optionality is good, and we're vetting through all of them. I think it's fair to say I've received a lot of phone calls, a lot of interest. People understand the direction of the Big 12, and we're exploring those levels of interest. Nothing is imminent, but we're working hard to make sure that we position the Big 12 in the best possible way on a go-forward basis.”

A few weeks after UCLA and USC announced a move to the Big Ten in a few seasons, conference expansion and realignment went into overdrive. It appears that things are starting to calm down a bit and to quote Robert Allen, it seems we’re in a hurry up and wait mode.

While Yormark can’t say definitely the direction the conference is moving, whether literally or figuratively, it good to know he’s going to be proactive with the future once he takes over on Aug. 1. Especially with his comments on wanting to the make conference “younger and hipper,” with the intention of making the conference more relevant with the Big Ten and SEC expanding.

“I think there's opportunities, as I learn a little bit more about the brand and our fan base, to become a little bit more national, to position our brand a little younger, hipper, cooler, how do we connect a youth culture, diversify some of the things we're doing. And I think we have a great opportunity to do that. I've been in the brand-building business and the business-building business in my days at NASCAR where we took a sport from predominantly the South and where the roots were and made it a national phenomenon. Obviously in Brooklyn we moved the team from the Nets, which was a bit of a depressed brand and franchise, and made it into a global brand. My goal is to do something very similar here, and I'm excited about it, and I'm excited to go to work.”

Discussion from...

Big 12 "Open for Business" When It Comes to Conference Expansion

3,870 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
younger and hipper? Oh gawd, we're doomed.

I'm fairly certain that younger and hipper means you get more programming on your iPhone so you can sit in your dorm room and not have to attend the game live.

I'm not sure what else it could mean.... more use of gray uniforms? Bleh

using the big screen during the game for trivial pursuit so they don't get bored?
gary121853
People would not confuse You with an upbeat person
OSUgary
CaliforniaCowboy
gary121853 said:

great, lets jump right into bashing others....

what in the heck does that have to do with my comment Gary? HINT: nothing.

I found the Commish's comment to be strange, and tried to present it in a fun and jovial way.

for the sake of the forum, I'll pass on naming what people would not confuse you with.

for heavens sake, stop the bashing and stick to commenting on the topics.
NJAggie
Well if your comment was meant as humorous OK, but it sure looked like another negative and defeatist comment about the conference and its future.
_888
Very. Not. Funny.
Pokes4158
Younger and hipper sounds great. Something fresh maybe. Whatever brings the eyeballs and gets that revenue stream increasing
NJAggie
Yeah he was very positive, and he wants to build the brand, make it one people want to watch the games. Having a bigger better social media game going. The guy knows brand building so it should be good.

He also talked about wanting to nationalize the brand, and we're already 2/3rds across the country, so we may see him intent on getting a bigger footprint. He spoke to the blend of Ag Schools and Urban Schools.

Bottom line he said we have a solid base, and his goal is to make everything better. And that is exactly what we need.
Joe Khatib
NJAggie said:

Well if your comment was meant as humorous OK, but it sure looked like another negative and defeatist comment about the conference and its future.
I laughed when I heard him say that in his remarks and thought to myself, Yo Brett you aren't having to tow the Jay Z line anymore! You are back with the adults in the room! LOL
Pokes4158
Man I think I like that summary. I hope he gets that done because I think the big 12 does have the tools. I like his history and I think he can get the job done while also making it a more fun national brand. He excites me for the future of the big 12
CaliforniaCowboy
NJAggie said:

I love the conference and the future, if you've ever read any of my posts.

An expanded B12 was my first choice (over the other options being tossed about).

I think the expanded B12 is perfect, and would not mind adding the 4 PAC schools that were discussed.

I think the conference has a great future, regardless of what the B1G or the SEC do.

I have only ever said good things about the conference.

I'm not sure where you're picking up that vibe.

Practically everything that I've said in the past couple of weeks is exactly what is and has happened.

I said we needed new blood for a Commish, and out of the box thinker NOT just another conference insider, and that's exactly what we got - and I'm thrilled about it - and have said so.

GumbyFromPokeyLand
gary121853 said:

Or comedian.
Tulsa Booster
Cal. I think you need to re-read your posts before you hit the "post" button if you believe most shouldn't be perceived as negative.
CaliforniaCowboy
Tulsa Booster said:

Cal. I think you need to re-read your posts before you hit the "post" button if you believe most shouldn't be perceived as negative.
thanks for the advice.

I do read them multiple times, and I am very careful of what I say. Very careful. And I rewrite them several times.

they are not negative - which is not to say that I have never intentionally made a negative post.

If you're referring to the discussions of our "TV valuation", I don't consider those to be "negative", but rather, they are "accurate". I'm often just dismayed by the extremes that some will go to in order to support an inane point. The SEC does not see OSU as adding financial value to their model. The B1G does not see OSU as adding financial value to their model. Yet, we have post after post of folks grasping at any raw unvetted indicators that OSU is the most valuable of those teams that are not valuable to them.

OSU is in the talks and in the rating discussions because we win, and we've worked our way into better viewing slots because of it, and because we're almost always pivotal in the conference outcome. More people like to watch games that matter.

I have so moved on from the join the SEC talks, and any associated valuations, and have been focused on the future of the B12 since the day NewJersey and I spoke about the possibility and the probability of expanding the existing conference.

NJAggie
CaliforniaCowboy said:

Tulsa Booster said:

thanks for the advice.

I do read them multiple times, and I am very careful of what I say. Very careful. And I rewrite them several times.

they are not negative - which is not to say that I have never intentionally made a negative post.

If you're referring to the discussions of our "TV valuation", I don't consider those to be "negative", but rather, they are "accurate". I'm often just dismayed by the extremes that some will go to in order to support an inane point. The SEC does not see OSU as adding financial value to their model. The B1G does not see OSU as adding financial value to their model. Yet, we have post after post of folks grasping at any raw unvetted indicators that OSU is the most valuable of those teams that are not valuable to them.

OSU is in the talks and in the rating discussions because we win, and we've worked our way into better viewing slots because of it, and because we're almost always pivotal in the conference outcome. More people like to watch games that matter.

I have so moved on from the join the SEC talks, and any associated valuations, and have been focused on the future of the B12 since the day NewJersey and I spoke about the possibility and the probability of expanding the existing conference.

I agree, and I've spoken out against that because I think its all false hope. Yet when I post something saying that the Cowboys can be successful here in the Big XII, you start in saying their won't be any TV money and we're not going to be on network TV.
CaliforniaCowboy
NJAggie said:

I agree, and I've spoken out against that because I think its all false hope. Yet when I post something saying that the Cowboys can be successful here in the Big XII, you start in saying their won't be any TV money and we're not going to be on network TV.
but that is not what I have said.

I think there will be plenty of money and a good media rights deal, I just don't think that we're guaranteed some deal that includes a weekly game on "network TV".

We might. I hope we do. The contracts are coming up, but there is much that has to happen, IMO, before we'll know what type of media rights deal might be available to us. But even if the B12 lands a deal with a weekly game, OSU will likely only be on one or two times. (because of 14 teams)

The PAC has to determine what their future is and what their deal will be. The playoff picture has to be resolved. The B12 has to decide if we're going to be 14 or 18 or 20 teams, THEN we can talk TV deals.

Right now there is no guarantee of a deal that includes network TV, and unless we expand, I'll be very surprised if one of the networks makes a deal like that. NBC and CBS need to decide if they even want to be in the college football market (versus Golf or Nascar or some other sport)

I hope we can get a deal like that, or if we can't, that we get a deal with somebody (Amazon, etc.) that provides us with competitive dollars.

I think our sports media dollars will be competitive, if we don't get raided before hand.

The more teams we add like Oregon or Washington, the fewer the dollars we'll have to spread around, and the greater the cost to travel. (IMO).

CaliforniaCowboy
and then, there is this....

"The Pac-12 Board of Directors met this morning (Wednesday) and authorized the Conference to explore all expansion options," the conference said on Twitter. "The 10 university presidents and chancellors remain committed to a shared mission of academic and athletic excellence on behalf of our student-athletes."

GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

"The Pac-12 Board of Directors met this morning (Wednesday) and authorized the Conference to explore all expansion options," the conference said on Twitter. "The 10 university presidents and chancellors remain committed to a shared mission of academic and athletic excellence on behalf of our student-athletes."

I think most everybody here will file that under "DUH".
NJAggie
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

One of the PAC Presidents released a statement saying that "Right Now, we are all committed to researching all options".

I think the lack of TV offer progress is getting to them.
Joe Khatib
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

Me thinks it would have been much wiser to pursue that ONE YEAR AGO, PAC got the Texas move put on them by USC when they threw up all the objections and got the others to go along, if I am Kliavkoff I turn in my letter of resignation and say Good Luck Boys and Girls!
NJAggie
One thing to keep in mind about the PAC schools is that one of the leagues big problems is they exist in isolation. People outside their region aren't drawn into the league's games on Saturdays, they are basically existing on their own footprint. And now that footprint has lost its crown jewel. Not to mention not being involved in the days play up until it's half over the fans out West have lost interest and found something to do.

The Big 12 lost OU & UT, but we didn't lose the viewers in the Texas markets or Oklahoma market that will watch Big 12 football, and that includes some UT & OU fans.

The PAC lost that market and now it's going to be the weekly focal point of hype by FOX for all the B1G fans to stay up and watch USC vs Wisconsin or UCLA vs Michigan State, and the league implications they represent. The LA fans will turn in. The B1G xpats (and there are tons of them) in the whole coast will tune in. And, B1G fans that haven't watched a PAC game in years in the East, Central, and Mountain time zones will tune in.

If 4 or 6 teams come to the Big 12 the same thing applies on a smaller scale. Those schools are worth more in the Big 12 than they are in the PAC, and you lose 4 really bad TV draws in the mix.
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

tell the Pac 12, not me. It was "breaking news", we all suspected it, but the news (which you apparently missed trying to get a jab in) was that the conference AUTHORIZED the exploration.

so, it's not DUH, it is actually breaking news that they authorized expansion options. It's an official act by the conference, so it's not really DUH. That's not how DUH works.

you're just always wrong
GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

tell the Pac 12, not me. It was "breaking news", glad to hear you knew it before the conference announced it.

Most of us don't need a press release to tell us the sun will rise tomorrow morning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.