Story Poster
Photo by Bryan Terry USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

Cale Gundy Resigns from Oklahoma After Issue With a Player not Paying Attention

August 7, 2022

Sunday evening (Aug. 7) University of Oklahoma inside receivers coach Cale Gundy issued a statement that he was resigning from the Sooners coaching staff after 23 years. Gundy was the running backs coach for Bob Stoops when he came on board as head coach and then moved over to receivers and coached there some under Stoops and during the recent regime of Lincoln Riley.

Gundy is the younger brother of Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy. The two have been on opposite ends of the Bedlam rivalry but are close. Loyalty and devotion are pillars of the Gundy family and that always allowed Mike and Cale to maneuver through the rivalry they are wrapped up in. 

Apparently, Gundy was conducting a meeting with his players and one of them was writing a rap song on his team issued iPad. Gundy confiscated it and read what was on the iPad to the players in the meeting and some of the language was inappropriate. As a result of all that activity, Gundy has announced his resignation, but there was definitely pushback from the current head coach Brent Venables. 

Below is the statement Gundy released:

On a personal note, while I find Cale Gundy’s transparency and intent in resigning to be amazingly accountable, I also find it difficult to believe that a coach trying to maintain discipline in his meeting room and not using any inappropriate language directly at an individual would be subject to leaving the program, especially a coach that played for that school and had been such a devoted, loyal. and valued contributor as a coach. 

Sources reported that Cale Gundy did receive a generous settlement on his coaching contract with the University of Oklahoma.

Discussion from...

Cale Gundy Resigns from Oklahoma After Issue With a Player not Paying Attention

23,800 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Duke Silver
1slowpoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bad timing and the player probably wasn't disciplined and we will never know their name. Sounds like Venables beginning to clean house or retaliating for lack of support when he was run off. They should have promoted Cale Gundy to HC rather then bring in Venables.

Where will he coach? Doubful he would have interest in OSU. Will he retire?
James W Carpenter
GreyGhost
Looking forward to hearing the "rest of the story"

There is no freaking way that he left OU for this reason.

GumbyFromPokeyLand
I doubt there's any real question whether he'd take a job at OSU. He would. He has ties to OSU, knows the conference, could stay in Oklahoma, and would have a boss that would have his back coming off this unfortunate incident. Being "loyal" to OU will just severely limit his opportunities since his highest value will be with another B12 team, and/or a team that recruits against OU.

The question is; would Mike hire him and potentially upset the dynamic with the current staff?

Mike might consider hiring him as an analyst as a bridge to another opportunity.
Orangeheart72
Assume we'll never hear the rest of the story even if there is one, which seems likely. I saw an (OU player) comment that went as far as to say if you're going to a church where bad decisions are being made, it's time to find a new church, seemingly supporting Cale. So I assume there's internal decension going on about this. And Mixon's support letter doesn't sound like recent/connected players are hearing reasoning that makes any sense as far as Gundy leaving (so unlikely again that we will). Mixon said there's no way Cale was in any manner a racist and he's been a huge factor in so many people's lives as far as maturing and becoming better, decent men...including himself (Mixon). The OKC/OU media was saying what a tremendous loss as far as former player connections and recruiting. Because Cale was apparently huge in both ways. Bad thing is that it's very hard to get stink off of you once it's attributed to you.....especially in a public job like coaching in a major blueblood school. And of course, if there's lots more to this, perhaps the stink should stick, just don't know!
CaliforniaCowboy
this is as pathetic at Gundy apologizing for wearing a freaking T-Shirt.

the kid should have been suspended, and the coach (Cale) lauded for instilling discipline.

really? I mean really? We now have harry potter type words that cannot be spoken for fear of retribution?

this issue about language must be resolved immediately, either anybody can say it (or type it), or nobody can.

I truly feel sorry for Coach that the got cancel cultured for nothing.

this type of stuff has gone too far. I even got culture banned from the rumor board for quoting a freaking President of the United States who had used that word.
RowdyRawhide
Coach Gundy should hire Coach Gundy immediately! I would name Cale Assistant HC for University of Oklahoma Central Intelligence.
CaliforniaCowboy
RowdyRawhide said:

Coach Gundy should hire Coach Gundy immediately! I would name Cale Assistant HC for University of Oklahoma Central Intelligence.
he can't do it.... OSU is too woke to allow it.

the day of doing what is "right" is long past in this current society
texastornado
I could see a SEC team jumping in to get him with OU heading out in a few years.
RowdyRawhide
I hear you California Cowboy, but Mike could emphasize that hey, I'm hiring my brother FGS!
Orangeheart72
I personally would hate to have the nepotism entering into OSU.
CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72 said:

I personally would hate to have the nepotism entering into OSU.
yeah, that would be horrible, next thing you know John Smith would be hiring Pat Smith or Eddie would be hiring Sean, and on, and on....

good golly Bobby Knight might even hire his own son, or Spike Dykes, or who knows how far this thing could go..

LOL
Joe Khatib
GreyGhost said:

Looking forward to hearing the "rest of the story"

There is no freaking way that he left OU for this reason.

I sent you a private message about this!
Joe Khatib
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

I doubt there's any real question whether he'd take a job at OSU. He would. He has ties to OSU, knows the conference, could stay in Oklahoma, and would have a boss that would have his back coming off this unfortunate incident. Being "loyal" to OU will just severely limit his opportunities since his highest value will be with another B12 team, and/or a team that recruits against OU.

The question is; would Mike hire him and potentially upset the dynamic with the current staff?

Mike might consider hiring him as an analyst as a bridge to another opportunity.
Check your private inbox.
pokeacola
Cancel Culture is REAL. Fornicate, commit wanton sodomy, rewrite American history, misrepresent any change in the weather as an existential threat, but WOE if one violates progressive language strictures!!! certainly racism and racist language is a bad thing but there are numerous things just as bad, worse, that are not only allowed but applauded.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
If MG hires Cale as an analyst, he'll be working with his former head coach - Gary Gibbs.
1slowpoke
I have seen Cale at OSU Wrestling and baseball games in the past.
James W Carpenter
rcfb
Anyone knows who the player with ipad is? I heard some rumors about it that it's some walk on WR.
TeaTownCowboy
Such an OVERLY PC world. Can't even quote a kid's words. Granted Cale should've substituted "N-bomb" instead of the actual word but I gotta think the person who ratted him out was that doofus kid who was NOT paying attention. This won't be a good thing for zerOU, only saving grace to this wacky story...

TeaTownCowboy
Had a text exchange w/ some friends and fellow oSu alums about this. And the OAN thing was brought up and was ridiculous IMO by Chuba and anyone else who called that website "racist". I seriously doubt he and Amen and anyone else who made a stink about it ever went to it, they just heard it's racist from somebody else and just went along w/ the peers.

Not to say I'm a regular visitor to OAN but I have been to that website a few times and dug and tried to find something that could be deemed racist but nada! If you oppose certain things another group opposes the easiest way to slam it is to call it racist....and this is the overly PC world we now live in.

TeaTownCowboy
Send it to me too, hah hah.

CaliforniaCowboy
TeaTownCowboy said:

be sure and DON'T send it to me, I'm not a fan of rumor and innuendo.
TUSKAPOKE
Venables was possibly looking for any reason to make a clean sweep of the Stoops-Riley regimes and make this all his little playground. I have not heard or read the players went forward to get him fired. His replacement, the GA, was in the room and not sure what his take is as he is African American. We will probably never know. The truth is usually somewhere in the gray. GO POKES!!!
NJAggie
Well Hoover was on Smoake and he admitted it's created a mess down there. However he swore Venables practically worshiped Cale so he didn't want to fire him, but I'm not so sure.

It also has been said that one player went directly to Venables, and word got out to the admin side, and they demanded a firing (not the AD the President).

The kid who's iPad it was has evidently apologized and didn't see any reason for anything happening to CG.

Sounds like a real mess, and one that will probably effect the team to some degree. Could be just what UTEP needs to get the upset.
Joe Khatib
TeaTownCowboy said:

You can't handle the truth!
Joe Khatib
CaliforniaCowboy said:

TeaTownCowboy said:

Gotcha and respect you wishes!
Duke Silver
Joe Khatib said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

TeaTownCowboy said:

me next
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Word is the player working on his rap lyrics instead of taking notes was………Drake Stoops. That's the Caucasian son of former HC Bob Stoops.

There's so many layers and side bars to this story, I can't even begin to touch on half of them.
1slowpoke
Most likely he will find success outside of OU and get a HC offer at a D1 program. Other coaches have survived as wasn't Mike Leach fired for abusing and ridiculing a player and he is still coaching. One of the BAMA HC was fired before he actually started from paying prostitutes and he got another coaching job. Sark was fired from USC for coming to work drunk and he is at Texas now. Cale will probably get the Texas job next year after Sark is fired and Cale will turn the Texas program around!!!
James W Carpenter
GumbyFromPokeyLand
1slowpoke said:

Most likely he will find success outside of OU and get a HC offer at a D1 program. Other coaches have survived as wasn't Mike Leach fired for abusing and ridiculing a player and he is still coaching. One of the BAMA HC was fired before he actually started from paying prostitutes and he got another coaching job. Sark was fired from USC for coming to work drunk and he is at Texas now. Cale will probably get the Texas job next year after Sark is fired and turn the Texas program around!!!

Apparently, Sark isn't the only drunk.
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

1slowpoke said:

Most likely he will find success outside of OU and get a HC offer at a D1 program. Other coaches have survived as wasn't Mike Leach fired for abusing and ridiculing a player and he is still coaching. One of the BAMA HC was fired before he actually started from paying prostitutes and he got another coaching job. Sark was fired from USC for coming to work drunk and he is at Texas now. Cale will probably get the Texas job next year after Sark is fired and turn the Texas program around!!!

when are you going to get it? Personal attacks on other posters are not allowed.

now you're picking on Slow.

Why can't you comment on what is said without making personal attacks on others? It's really not that hard to do.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

1slowpoke said:

when are you going to get it? Personal attacks on other posters are not allowed.

Why can't you comment on what is said without making personal attacks on others? It's really not that hard to do.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
Duke Silver
CaliforniaCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

1slowpoke said:

I kinda thought that he was responding to her post and not her personally.
Joe Khatib
Duke Silver said:

Joe Khatib said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

TeaTownCowboy said:

me next
There is trouble in River City or in this case Norman, Oklahoma SEC, SEC, SEC!!!
Duke Silver
Joe Khatib said:

Duke Silver said:

Joe Khatib said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

TeaTownCowboy said:

me next
There is trouble in River City or in this case Norman, Oklahoma SEC, SEC, SEC!!!

What is the trouble?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.