Story Poster
Photo by Zach Lancaster
Oklahoma State Football

Mike Gundy Plays True or False with Continued Autopsy of Bedlam

September 20, 2022

STILLWATER – It was after the Cowboys first bye week practice on Tuesday, Sept. 20. The players were wrapping up the two-and-a-half-hour practice with some drills and head coach Mike Gundy was addressing the media, but little did anybody know that Gundy would channel his inner Pat Sajak, Alex Trebek, or Chuck Woolery. Gundy used the fact that Bedlam future was again speculated in a story by Oklahoma State graduate Brett McMurphy in Action Sports. The story caught fire again on social media. This time athletic directors Chad Weiberg of Oklahoma State and Joe Castiglione of Oklahoma were quoted. Must have been a slow news day at Action Sports. In the story Castiglione made it sound like Oklahoma State pulled the plug on Bedlam.

USA TODAY Sports
Joe Castiglione of Oklahoma.

“Oklahoma State has shown no interest to schedule any future games in football, so we’re moving on (with filling OU’s future nonconference openings),” Castiglione was quoted in the story.

“You know I wrote some notes up on that,” Gundy said reaching into his pocket for what looked like a Mike Leach play call sheet. “The first thing is we have to quit talking about that. It’s over, right?

Gundy then looked around the mass of media in the corner of the Sherman Smith Training Center and challenged them to listen to his list of fact, and call him on it.

Zachary Lancaster
Gundy just warming up at his press conference.

“I’m going to state facts and at any time if I say something that is not a fact, then you stop me,” Gundy instructed. “You guys can stop me, that’s fair. Isn’t that what we want?”

Then Gundy began to read.

“OU officials were in negotiations with the SEC for months and months before anybody in this conference knew about it,” Gundy read and then looked around. “No objections.”

Silence.

“During those multi-million-dollar conversations I wonder if Bedlam was ever brought up at that point instead of the money,” Gundy continued.

Again, silence.

“Bedlam is history, we all know that, because OU chose to follow Texas and the money to the SEC. It’s okay,” Gundy continued and looked around again. “Is that a fact?

“So, now we’re having what I think are childish discussions, in my opinion, over something that is over,” Gundy started to wrap up. “I would like to make this the last statement I have (on this) because I have no hard feelings. What’s going on now is kind of what happens with a husband and a wife or a girlfriend and a boyfriend when you know that you’re dead wrong and you try to turn the table and make them think they’re wrong when Oklahoma State has no part in this. We didn’t have anything to do with their negotiations with the SEC. We didn’t have any choice with them leaving the conference, they did. So, everybody needs to get over it and quit trying to turn the tables. It is somewhat comical that they still want to try to bring us into this equation. I want somebody here to give me one example of what Oklahoma State had to do with this?”

Gundy again was met with blank stares and no comment.

“I’m listening and I’m not the head coach. I’m just a guy on the street. I want one person to tell me what myself, Chad Weiberg, or Dr. Shrum or our regents had to do with any of this going on,” Gundy said and then advised OU. “Let’s not turn the tables, let’s just say, ‘hey look we chose to follow Texas and take the money. We’re going to the SEC.’ It’s all good. Let’s quit talking about it and talk football. No hard feelings. I like Joe C. (Castiglione) but it is what it is. We have to quit beating around the bush and call it what it is.”

Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Bedlam comes back only if TV is willing to pay for it.

Gundy delivered all of his presentation with a grin on his face. The kind of grin born of the fact the facts are on your side. He also later told me he was somewhat perturbed the subject keeps coming up. It’s the story that has been told but seems to need to be regurgitated from time to time.

Gundy, as he did a month ago did say that Bedlam could make a reappearance if the television networks want it. “Money, if the networks want Bedlam that is above my pay grade. I will do what the administrators say.”

What he won’t do is admit that Oklahoma State started this or had anything to do with it.

Discussion from...

Mike Gundy Plays True or False with Continued Autopsy of Bedlam

11,400 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would much rather get a big payday playing someone interesting that we've seldom had a chance to play.

ND was fun in the bowl. How about USC? or Miami? or "anybody else".

if we play the goons for money, then they get the money too... not interested. There are other teams, we played Florida State for money, and Mississippi State for money - both at neutral sites..... I would much prefer those types of contests.

NO GOONS. Not ever.
PaloDuroPoke
I agree with Cali. I'm glad to see them and their twin go. Play teams that provide us with opportunities to continue to build our program. Their arrogance won't be missed.
TUSKAPOKE
Adios Sewerners....I will enjoy watching you have your behinds handed to you often in the SEC. The only time we should play the land thieves is when we are in the 12 team playoff and they come to Stillwater. I have had a lifetime of hearing that nauseating song and glad it will be gone until we hear it as we beat them in the playoffs. I salute them for eternity with a single middle finger they believe is telling them they are # 1.
Orangeheart72
We could give up playing Nebraska, Alabama, Colorado, Oregon, Arkansas, etc. over the next 15 years and replace multiple opponents with one....OU. OU could likew cancel Michigan, Nebraska, Clemson, Tulane, whoever and instead play only OSU.

Why would that be more interesting to fans (many who like to travel to games once in a while). Why is that even a discussion point? Who cares about this except media folks wanting to say rivalry? If OU and OSU both have a schedule opening in 2041 and want to play again.....schedule a game or two or three!
Eclectic
i agree with gundy, but I believe we, too, should go where the money leads us. I think this is more of a negotiating ploy for the big 12 than anything. ESPN is going to want us to play. We'll play....
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Well, if the OSU admin gets its way, Bedlam will survive because……,….OSU is aggressively pursuing membership in the SEC.
Eclectic
It's kind of like when dish and fox sports couldn't agree to terms. Every time you would go to fox sports it would say something similar to, " fox sports is refusing to negotiate with us. Please call the number below and demand they reinstate their contract."
Eclectic
I hope they do!
tulsasig
Coach Gundy is, of course, correct. If Bedlam fails to exist in the future, it is certainly not because of us. I personally think it will be fun to create some new rivalries and forge our own path without OU. I have no hard feelings about OU leaving the Big 12, but Joe C is obviously feeling a little sensitive about it. Get real, Joe, you clearly don't care if you ever play OSU again. Okay. Just stop pretending the death of Bedlam had anything to do with us.
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Well, if the OSU admin gets its way, Bedlam will survive because……,….OSU is aggressively pursuing membership in the SEC.
shhhh..... we're hunting wabbits
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

can you show us that report?

I've seen actual reports (and quotes) saying that we're pursuing strong unity in the B12, and actual reports that we're active in pursuing expansion with some of the PAC teams... both of which seem to contradict what you allege...

can you direct us to some actual recent reports of our "aggressive pursuit" of the SEC?

Can there even be aggressive pursuit of continual rejection? Is that even a thing?
pokeacola
I think I speak for multitudes of Cowboy fans when I say, "I never want to play them again!" It was a joyful thing to hear that they were heading to the SEC. Good riddance to them, their weaponized music and their obnoxious fans. If we end up in the SEC that is probably a good thing for the University. But, I for one, am looking forward to the new Big 12 or maybe even and Big 16.
Pokes4158
So we were told
Pokes4158
Pokes report said it multiple times. Robert Allen himself said osu was in talks with the sec.
Pokes4158
I could also live the rest of my life not hearing the constant cliche football talk they use now since venerables got there. They got a catch phrase for everything. Like how to speak football motivation for dummies
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

Pokes report said it multiple times. Robert Allen himself said osu was in talks with the sec.
I clearly said RECENT reports. Everybody and their brother was "in talks" with the SEC at one point - "please take us, please take us, our TV numbers are good but our value is not, please take us."

The SEC already announced it was done for now, and all speculation has them eventually talking to FSU, Clemson and some others. They have a contract in place, and they also have 2 new teams that have not even physically joined.

GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

can you show us that report?

I've seen actual reports (and quotes) saying that we're pursuing strong unity in the B12, and actual reports that we're active in pursuing expansion with some of the PAC teams... both of which seem to contradict what you allege...

can you direct us to some actual recent reports of our "aggressive pursuit" of the SEC?

Can there even be aggressive pursuit of continual rejection? Is that even a thing?

Tom Dirato emphatically stated twice on the radio yesterday with RA , OSU is aggressively pursuing membership in the SEC.
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Tom Dirato emphatically stated twice on the radio yesterday with RA , OSU is aggressively pursuing membership in the SEC.
we need new administration then..... because they're either lying to us about the B12, or lying to us about the SEC (or Dirato is a clueless fool - most likely) QED

look... I can "aggressively pursue" a kiss from Jennifer Aniston, but if she's not in a county fair kissing booth, then it's simply not ever going to happen.

A frog can desperately hope for a kiss from a Princess, but if the Princess is not down at the pond looking for a frog to kiss, then it's not ever going to happen.
Pokes4158
"we need new administration then..... because they're either lying to us about the B12, or lying to us about the SEC (or Dirato is a clueless fool - most likely) QED". It's not really prudent or tasteful to bash Osu administration and or lifelong osu people like that……
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

"we need new administration then..... because they're either lying to us about the B12, or lying to us about the SEC (or Dirato is a clueless fool - most likely) QED". It's not really prudent or tasteful to bash Osu administration and or lifelong osu people like that……
got cha.... we can't have an opinion about Biden either, I take it... or Liberty...

all I said was the two stories being told don't line up.... or do you think that pursuing the SEC and pursuing the B12 are complimentary positions?

Dirato retired a decade ago, and now does interviews for RA's radio show.

It doesn't matter if we're "aggressively pursuing" the SEC or not, if it's true, and if Gumby and Dirato are out there spewing that speil, then it totally undermines our efforts to forge a strong B12.

What are our B12 partners going to think when there are rumors like this coming out of our fan base? You know what they'll say, don't trust OSU, they're not in this 100% and are still trying to bail out on us.

Crap like this has no business coming out in the open. Mindless people spew crap like this trying to undermine our program.

GumbyFromPokeyLand
CowboyRed said:

Anyone that disagrees with him will often elicit a response that's either imprudent or distasteful. It's just who he is.
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CowboyRed said:

Anyone that disagrees with him will often elicit a response that's either imprudent or distasteful. It's just who he is.
there's my troll, bashing other posters once again.... just like clock work.

oh, whoa is me for not taking your rumor nonsense as gospel, anyone that disagrees with your rumor spreading will elicit a personal attack for not bowing down to the altar of Gumby...

why do you always have to make personal attacks? They are not allowed on the forum.
backphil
The drive-by sports media, all over the net, is calling this "another Mike Gundy rant." These drive-by writers have GDS just like the political drive-by's have TDS with former President Trump. They can't forget the real rant against the capital city's state newspaper. . . "I'm a man, I'm 40" so funny
backphil
@TUSKAPOKE I never had any real heartburn with the uO football players or coaches, it was the uO fans who convinced me never to attend another bedlam game in Norman, even though I have something in common with 90% of those fans . . . neither of us have ever been inside a classroom in Norman.
Duke Silver
backphil said:

@TUSKAPOKE I never had any real heartburn with the uO football players or coaches, it was the uO fans who convinced me never to attend another bedlam game in Norman, even though I have something in common with 90% of those fans . . . neither of us have ever been inside a classroom in Norman.
Actually I think a resent study says 94%
TUSKAPOKE
I have no use for any of their coaches, players, fans, campus, Norman, administration, stunted ponies, schooner, band, or anything maybe I missed. They are toxic waste to me!!! I have in-laws who are Sewerner graduates and when football comes around they are obnoxious as 99.9% of their fans always are and have been for decades. It is in the arrogant DNA from that place. They have had nasty coaches (Switzer smoking on the sideline in 88), condescending players (Bosworth) and mouth pieces on the local news always digging OSU (Blevins last night). They can Boomer my middle finger all the way to the SEC cellar. I have enjoyed reading these comments and appreciate this community a bunch. GO POKES!!!
# old 56
no one in Big 12 should ever schedule a team that leaves the conference. that would be like dating your X. Texas at norman is doing their usual B.S. they are in denial about having their nose up longhorns. they will get their just desert and like Ark. Missouri, Nebraska and Colorado they can take their money and watch the big games at home on TV.
Pokes4158
No I was specifically talking about you calling dirato a clueless fool. That hateful and especially coming from the guy that calls out everyone else for hateful behavior but I see you chose to ignore that part
Pokes4158
Yeah I know lol I'll call it all day tho because he does it to everyone else with an opinion. Dude plays both sides constantly. Full time troll
Pokes4158
See what I mean?
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

No I was specifically talking about you calling dirato a clueless fool. That hateful and especially coming from the guy that calls out everyone else for hateful behavior but I see you chose to ignore that part
oh, I'm so sorry, the implication was "on that subject he was speaking about". do you have evidence otherwise?

and... I added that as an afterthought, intended as humorous (as in, that's the most unlikely)
GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

we need new administration then..... because they're either lying to us about the B12, or lying to us about the SEC (or Dirato is a clueless fool - most likely) QED

look... I can "aggressively pursue" a kiss from Jennifer Aniston, but if she's not in a county fair kissing booth, then it's simply not ever going to happen.

A frog can desperately hope for a kiss from a Princess, but if the Princess is not down at the pond looking for a frog to kiss, then it's not ever going to happen.

Who's the clueless fool?

The guy that was employed by the University Athletic Department for decades, still works radio, still lives in Stillwater, still talks to the coaches and AD personnel and still has media and league connections,

or

Some guy with a keyboard confined to his home in California.

'Pokes Report Forums'; your first choice in comedy!

CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Who's the clueless fool?

Gumby

give it up troll, I already explained that it was a sidebar to the statement.... facetious... outrageous .... intended to bring absurdity to the point being made.

you didn't answer the question, did you? Of course not. You're only here to attack other posters.

grow up
Pokes4158
You said most likely. Either way it's hateful so either be hateful and leave others alone about when it they are or don't be hateful.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
CowboyRed said:

You said most likely. Either way it's hateful so either be hateful and leave others alone about when it they are or don't be hateful.

C'mon man! He can "not" be hateful (or other distasteful actions) all he wants when he can just follow up hateful comments with - "I was just being facetious", or joking, or it was a "possibility" or "some might say". You know how it works. We all know how it works.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.