Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

OU's First Quarter Explosion Too Much to Overcome as Oklahoma State Loses 28-13

November 19, 2022

Oklahoma’s 28-point first quarter was just too much for No. 22 Oklahoma State to overcome as the Pokes lose 28-13.

With the loss, the Cowboys fall to 7-4 on the season and 4-4 in Big 12 play.

“When you think about if you go into the game and you say you’re going to hold them to 1-of-14 on 3rd down, you’d say you’re going to win the game,” Mike Gundy told the Cowboy Radio Network. “You can’t turn the ball over, four turnovers, we gave them a short field; one time it was a four-yard field and the other was 32 or 36 yards or something, and they got touchdowns out of those. Even after that we had chances, I don’t know what it was, eight minutes to go and we’re on the [OU] 12-yard line and we threw an interception. You score there and it’s a one-score game. We’re struggling to run the ball; we’re struggling to protect the quarterback and we just had not had a lot of luck with keeping healthy offensive linemen and not adjusting guys and moving them around. We’ve just got to keep working at it, it's all we can do.”

Quarterback Spencer Sanders had a rough start to the game as he threw for just 48 yards with two picks in the first quarter. However, he got better as the game went along as he finished with 381 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions on 36-of-67 passing. He also finished as the Pokes’ leading rusher with 42 yards on 17 carries.

Jaden Nixon was next on the stat sheet with 37 yards on seven carries.

Bixby product Brennan Presley led the way in receiving for the Cowboys as he hauled in 118 yards on nine receptions on 13 targets. Braydon Johnson was right behind him with 109 yards on seven receptions on 12 targets.

On the defensive side of the ball, Jason Taylor II led the way with 11 total tackles, including 10 solo stops, one pass breakup and one interception. Mason Cobb finished with eight total tackles, 0.5 tackles for loss, two quarterback hurries and one pass break up.

The Cowboys had just about as bad of a start as a team could have. The Sooners scored four first-quarter touchdowns to jump out to a 28-0 lead, while forcing two interceptions from Spencer Sanders. The Cowboys allowed 299 first quarter yards, 224 of which came through the air. In fact, it gave OU the second-most yardage they’ve had in a quarter since 312 yards against Colorado in 1980.

That’s when things started to change for the Pokes on the defensive side. The offense scored just three points, but Derek Mason’s squad held the Sooners to just 66 yards and zero points in the second quarter.

The third quarter was even better as the Pokes got into the end zone for the first time, a two-yard pass from Spencer Sanders to redshirt sophomore cowboy back Quinton Stewart.

“I think at that point [Spencer Sanders] had like two guys in his face and he was just kind of throwing it up and luckily it came to me. It was pretty cool,” Stewart told the Cowboy Radio Network of his first career-touchdown. “You always hope it’s coming to you, but I guess it was pretty cool it ended up happening like that.”

The Cowboys were explosive on offense through the third as they combined for 176 yards, 134 of which came through the air. They also limited the turnovers to zero, which was a huge improvement from the three in the first half.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Cowboys held OU to just 42 yards, all of which came on the ground.

Brennan Presley came alive early in the fourth quarter as he gained 55 yards on a pass from Sanders, with most of the yards coming after contact. While they weren’t able to get into the end zone, Tanner Brown hit his second field goal on the day, a 25-yarder to get the Pokes back within 15 points.

After forcing a fourth-straight OU three-and-out, the Cowboys had a chance to get back within one score with more than eight minutes left in the fourth quarter. Jaden Nixon broke his longest run of the day, 21-yards, on the first play of the drive. Sanders picked up the next first down on two-straight runs, followed by a 12-yard completion to Braydon Johnson down to the OU 43-yard line.

After Presley picked up a hard-fought first down at the OU 16-yard line, Sanders threw an incomplete pass on first down and threw his fourth interception of the game on 2nd and 10 with less than six minutes left.

The Cowboy defense came up with its fifth-straight three-and-out to give the Pokes another chance to make something happen with 4:24 left in the game. However, the Cowboy offensive line allowed two sacks for a combined loss of 16 yards to give OU the ball back following a 52-yard punt by Logan Ward.

The Cowboys had one final chance and moved the ball well down the field, but things stalled out inside the OU 30-yard line as a pass from Sanders to Presley fell incomplete to give the Sooners the ball back with less than 20 seconds left.

The Cowboys will play host to West Virginia next week in the regular season finale. Kickoff is scheduled for 11 a.m. CT kickoff on ESPN2.

Discussion from...

OU's First Quarter Explosion Too Much to Overcome as Oklahoma State Loses 28-13

2,954 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
Joe Khatib
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Turn the ball over FOUR TIMES AND YOU WON'T WIN ANYTHING, just like what happened last year in Dallas against Baylor!
Pokes4158
This weeks excuses should be epic. That was a blown game of epic proportions. Gundy says it's all good but it damn sure didnt look like it. This is the toughest loss to swallow I can remember. This team is capped out and we don't have another historic defense on the way. Things look fragile
CaliforniaCowboy
Joe Khatib said:

Turn the ball over FOUR TIMES AND YOU WON'T WIN ANYTHING, just like what happened last year in Dallas against Baylor!
so true, it's almost impossible to win with 4 TOs in a game... and sadly SS is known for that in big games, as you say.

with Dom out of the game, the goons could just rush everybody, and they did, and it's those situations where he just loses the ability to manage the game and just starts trying to force bad throws.

We could have won that game, even without Dom and with the reshuffled OLine if SS had taken a sack, or thrown the ball out of bounds or anything other than give them 2 short fields to start the game.

We freaking demolished them for the next 3 quarters.... such possibility literally thrown away
Pokes4158
Did you see what Gundy said about the 4 turnovers? Hard to pass the ball with pressure in your face. Sanders threw it 70 times. We have such little faith in our line to open holes in the run game we just let sanders get abused. O line cali. I'd like to see you defend it now. Especially after you called for a 10-3 season with an automatic win over ou and wv. Been trying to tell you man but now maybe you can see we got problems. We have been shuffling the line for years and had 1 guy out. Everyone who started was dickeys guys. Who have been here in the system. We only were missing brooks who is a transfer. Charlie Dickey and our offensive line cost us another big game. But we got tons of walk ons and low caliber recruits coming to fix that right?
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

Did you see what Gundy said about the 4 turnovers?
yes, I saw. Apparently you did not.

He did say

"...But offensive, we just can't manufacture enough right now. We're limited in certain areas. We can't manufacture a lot, and then obviously Spencer (Sanders) didn't didn't play very well today. Turn the ball over like that, obviously you don't get a chance. We had a couple of times there with a chance we could have scored, and turned it over and didn't give ourselves a chance. "

ON IF OFFENSIVE LINE BLOCKING WAS AN ISSUE: (which we know it is with Birmingham and Woodward out, and now Brooks). Also, Richardson is one of our better blockers picking up the blitz

"We just didn't protect him very well, and put him on the run a lot. And I think he hurried a few throws."

ON WHAT THE ISSUES ARE ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE:

"We're playing musical chairs. Jason Brooks (Jr.) was the best offensive line we had the last three weeks and he couldn't be here this game. So we're playing too many musical chairs."
Pokes4158
Why would a qb hurry throws? Did you see the grass stains on his jersey? Our line let him get killed. Birmingham hasn't played all year. You still make excuse lol our line is garbage cali and you have been wrong for so long. That's 4 straight weeks of absolutely terrible play from the offense and you say it's cuz we are missing a guy that's not even played lol yeah you are officially delusional. Also you didn't high light everything he said. Specifically when asked about the 4 turnovers he said it's hard to pass when pressure is in your face.
Pokes4158
Also I know you just would hate to admit to me you are wrong because you don't like me but if you have social media check it. EVERYONE is seeing the line problems and talking about it. The announcers on tv were talking about it. Everyone but you recognizes it. Our yards per carry us the worse it's ever been under Gundy. Literally the worst
Pokes4158
I remember when the announcer said how other teams had been abusing ous rush defense but we knew our line is so bad we didn't even try. We made one of the worst teams out there look amazing.
CaliforniaCowboy
I don't do "social media" exactly for that reason.... the "everybody is saying so" opinion.

I'll form my own opinions, thank you very much. LOL - social media (who are those people anyway?)

YES, we have OLine problems, they are well documented. I've spoken of them several times today, as did Gundy.

Our OLine problems are injury related, not your wild conspiracy theory, fire the coach, nonsense
Pokes4158
Na you denied for ever. It's not all injury related. We had a full compliment of lineman that has played years together in this system. Lt ettienne is in year two but has played the majority of the year and he would be the least experienced but y'all had him pegged as good because he is big. Look at the line we played and explain how they should be so bad. They all have a bunch of experience
Pokes4158
Also if it's all injury related explain why we have zero depth? Weren't we supposed to have 20 or so guys ready this fall? O line was a strength? But we can't even go to the 2 deep?
Joe Khatib
CaliforniaCowboy said:

I don't do "social media" exactly for that reason.... the "everybody is saying so" opinion.

I'll form my own opinions, thank you very much. LOL - social media (who are those people anyway?)

YES, we have OLine problems, they are well documented. I've spoken of them several times today, as did Gundy.

Our OLine problems are injury related, not your wild conspiracy theory, fire the coach, nonsense
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, The foil here, old Red boy, who I have on ignore because his Schlick is old and worn out, was lauding Mike Boynton on getting 4 and 5 star recruits a couple of weeks ago on this site, but yet he CAN'T seem to make the Big Dance, yet we consistently win nine to ten games under MG and make Bowl Games and finish in the Top 25!!! Simply Amazing!!! Ignorance is bliss I guess!
Roughrider
O line was never a strength as several bailed for the portal. With such terrible o line play, it is going to be hard to keep our skill players from bolting to the portal.
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

Also if it's all injury related explain why we have zero depth? Weren't we supposed to have 20 or so guys ready this fall? O line was a strength? But we can't even go to the 2 deep?
dude, I already explained that, and it's common knowledge... you just can't go through life fat, drunk and stupid

my gawd, there are only about 20 OLinemen on the whole team. We have never ever gone "2 deep" on the OLine, there are almost zero teams that can. The teams usually has 5 starters, a backup guard, tackle and center. Eight, that might see regular rotation or get some PT..

did you really say... "if it's injury related explain why we have zero depth"? (Hello, McFly - injuries impact the depth. every time you have an injury the depth goes down). This is not rocket surgery

Pokes4158
Cali first off I'm in great shape. I work my ass off everyday from6:30 to 5 and still exercise. I don't drink much unlike some at breakfast. Looking at you cali. And I am dam sure not stupid. You talk a big game behind a keyboard with pressure on you. Getting frustrated because I'm giving it back to you after you being wrong so many times but still pushing it like you aren't? Teams with Great depth do go to the two deep. Some teams don't absolutely fall apart when they have to play a backup. Gundy said brooks has been the best lineman we have had the last few weeks. This is his first year with us and he doesn't even have a full time starting spot. That doesn't say something to you? Our best guy is a new guy? Dickey is not developing what he has and unfortunately he doesn't have much to work with.
TUSKAPOKE
Was there a Bedlam game yesterday? The sun came up today. I will always support the Pokes. I am getting old and tired. Two conference championships in my lifetime....Sad. This is the "Golden Age" of OSU football but we need better and deserve better. Some tough decisions must be made this off season involving.....recruiting.... OL....QB play......RB......Cowboy Back position and what that really does for much of anything.......defensive consistency for an entire game.....NIL efforts......A total review of the entire program. Coming close to achieving a goal is not good enough and doing that just every decade or more sure is not good enough. Negative? It is what it is..............Thanks for the therapy session.....GO POKES!!!
gary121853
OSU FB reality?

For balance of Gundy 'new' contract we will have Win(s) + Bowl(s) + Stability .... But we will NOT have Championship(s)

That is exactly what Weiberg/Trustee(s) knowingly signed up for when they agreed to it ... particularly given the unstable environment the college FB industry finds itself in at this time ....
OSUgary
rcfb
Dickey can retire. Dunn taking some HC position elsewhere won't bother me too. We are either the least efficient or 9th least efficient offense on Big 12. It's all on Dickey and Dunn. If Gundy doesn't see that, it's on him too.

Maybe Fix Oline and start from there.
Joe Khatib
TUSKAPOKE said:

Was there a Bedlam game yesterday? The sun came up today. I will always support the Pokes. I am getting old and tired. Two conference championships in my lifetime....Sad. This is the "Golden Age" of OSU football but we need better and deserve better. Some tough decisions must be made this off season involving.....recruiting.... OL....QB play......RB......Cowboy Back position and what that really does for much of anything.......defensive consistency for an entire game.....NIL efforts......A total review of the entire program. Coming close to achieving a goal is not good enough and doing that just every decade or more sure is not good enough. Negative? It is what it is..............Thanks for the therapy session.....GO POKES!!!
If this site gave out a cash prize it would go to you sir, intelligent thoughts and addressing the issues in a rational manner, well done!!!
Swcu21
Unless you start with strong NIL support our oline will never be what we want it to be. See 22' Banks... and follow with any other player 4 stars or higher. Unfortunately, I don't have the 100s of millions to start the kind of annuity needed to be competitive. Being a hiring manager in today's market you rarely get the value you pay for, the price of talent is pretty inflated and I doubt it will be different for NIL going forward. Scarcity is a pretty simple concept to understand if any effort is made at all.
CaliforniaCowboy
TUSKAPOKE said:

sorry about that, I clicked on the wrong post... carry on
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

Cali first off I'm in great shape. I work my ass off everyday from6:30 to 5 and still exercise. I don't drink much unlike some at breakfast. Looking at you cali. And I am dam sure not stupid. You talk a big game behind a keyboard with pressure on you. Getting frustrated because I'm giving it back to you after you being wrong so many times but still pushing it like you aren't? Teams with Great depth do go to the two deep. Some teams don't absolutely fall apart when they have to play a backup. Gundy said brooks has been the best lineman we have had the last few weeks. This is his first year with us and he doesn't even have a full time starting spot. That doesn't say something to you? Our best guy is a new guy? Dickey is not developing what he has and unfortunately he doesn't have much to work with.
nobody cares about YOU.... we want to talk about OSU.

and that was a line from Dean Wormer chastising the kid in Animal House

try to follow along

you're not giving us anything but personal attacks on others, which is a violation
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.