Story Poster
Photo by Oklahoma State Athletics
Oklahoma State Football

Gundy Said His Team Will Bounce Back and Leadership Is There

November 21, 2022

STILLWATER – Sundays are the shortest practice of the week. It’s the one practice of the week that I never attend. I have to admit I’ve watched the video a few times, but that was to see what a Player looked like or if he even practiced after being injured in a game on Saturday. The Sunday practice consists of corrections that are made from the previous game. A bried introduction to the next opponent. Most of that will be done in meetings and practice on Tuesday after the off day on Monday.

The Sunday practice also includes a run. There is a lift session in the afternoon and then a run to stretch the muscles and open up the lungs on Sunday night. Like Gundy said, “It’s a difficult run, so when you win, it’s a fun run. When you lose, it’s even more difficult, but we had some guys step up and do a good job leading.”

Gundy continued with the process and how this team responded after the 28-13 loss to the Sooners in Norman in front of raucious OU crowd.

Oklahoma State Athletics
Sunday practices aren’t a lot of fun.

“We’re on a pass-fail system right, each week, I mentioned that,” Gundy said So we got a fail for last week and so nobody likes that, but the good thing about this generation, without getting into a long drawn out deal, they kind of roll through things pretty quick. They’re pretty resilient. Brock Martin said a few words. (Jason) Taylor did a good job. Spencer (Sanders) always does a good job. Preston Wilson, we had some guys.

“Well they have to do it. It’s their team. It’s not me. All I do is tell them the truth and give them my opinion and then they can do what they want with it. And then we try to guide them to the next game as coaches. But they have to decide they want to practice hard and it’s important to them, because we don’t play, I don’t play.”

Bryan Terry-USA TODAY Sports
Sanders got pushed around some on Saturday at OU.

He wouldn’t want to trade places with Spencer Sanders either. Sanders was sacked six times and there were 12 quarterback hurries. The offensive line and it’s constant juggling due to injuries has taken a toll and the best blocker by grades in recent weeks was out for Bedlam

They’re just inconsistent in areas,” Gundy said stating some of that truth he is responsible for. (Jason) Brooks graded out the highest the last two or three weeks, I think, I don’t know how many weeks it’s been. And then a couple of the guys that didn’t, they graded out better in this game. So we need them to all come together. We need them to all play well and function, and as you know, we need to be able to rush the ball a little bit. You know, it’d be nice if we can get Dominic (Richardson) back at some point to put them all together and let’s get them all out there and let them go play.”

The other performance question for the Cowboys regular season finale with 4-7 West Virginia is the fans. How many will be there at Boone Pickens Stadium for the 11 a.m. kickoff. It is Senior Day, a pet peeve of mine is I hate when seniors come out for the last time to a lot of empty seats. One of the seniors being introduced even thoiugh he has an option to come back for a season is quarterback Spencer Sanders.

Ben Queen-USA TODAY Sports
Sanders last season at West Virginia.

“Oh, people love him,” Gundy said of Spencer. “I mean, everybody loves a warrior, and that’s what he is. He’s a gladiator and people like that. They’ll be excited but sad to see him leave.”

They will be even more excited if he were to choose to stay. Somebody remind him that the offensive line should be better with a few more guys like Cole Birmingham coming back.

Discussion from...

Gundy Said His Team Will Bounce Back and Leadership Is There

1,274 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
tulsasig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With no offensive line to protect/support him, why would Spencer want to come back?
CaliforniaCowboy
tulsasig said:

With no offensive line to protect/support him, why would Spencer want to come back?
I think we should have a very good OLine coming back next year, with Birmingham, et al

but I'm ready to move on from the Sanders experiment
TeaTownCowboy
Not going to bounce back very far w/ current coaching staff. Some heads need to roll!
TeaTownCowboy
We haven't had a good O-line, let along very good, since Joe Wickline left! What makes you think we'll make the jump from below average to very good???
CaliforniaCowboy
TeaTownCowboy said:

We haven't had a good O-line, let along very good, since Joe Wickline left! What makes you think we'll make the jump from below average to very good???
yes we have, no we haven't, yes we have, no we haven't..... can't you do better than that? I was very explicit on why I said so (another year of maturity, and getting Birmingham and Brooks back, two name 2, and a bevy of freshmen and RS freshmen on roster)

Our Oline was good enough to get us to the Conf Champ game JUST LAST YEAR... you need to brush up on your Cowboy football .... SMH
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.