Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

UPDATED: Gundy Meeting with Staff and Players as Pokes Recruit

November 28, 2022

STILLWATER – It started early Monday morning (Nov. 28) as I started to get Twitter images text to me predicting, even insisting that the next few days would be eventful or volatile even for Oklahoma State football. As usual, they came from people I hadn’t heard of. I noticed one followed me, but I don’t follow him. I call it postseason clickbait.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

UPDATED: Gundy Meeting with Staff and Players as Pokes Recruit

7,168 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pokes4158
Crazed_Stallion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not this week, just next week. Thanks Robert.
Bvillepoke
Thanks for some sanity Robert.
TUSKAPOKE
Thanks RA for the explanation about the portal. Heard you talk about it on the radio today.
Joe Khatib
Thanks for the clarity Robert, Hey Mr. Ed those Sooners seem to sure be having problems these days, I would be kinda worried about that dissension in the ranks! LOLOLOL SEC SEC SEC!
Joe Khatib
Joe Khatib said:

Thanks for the clarity Robert, Hey Mr. Ed those Sooners seem to sure be having problems these days, I would be kinda worried about that dissension in the ranks! LOLOLOL SEC SEC SEC!
Oh hey another thing Mr. Ed, I got the lowdown on you from some folks in the Athletic Department, it helps to have friends in the right places, don't worry, I won't doxx you,I don't believe in that kind of crap! But you best understand one thing, Mike Holder ain't the Athletic Director anymore and Burns Hargis ain't the President anymore as well! The current leadership WANTS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PREVIOUS REGIME, TRUST ME I KNOW ABOUT THESE THINGS! They, current AD and President felt that the former regime greatly handicapped our two main revenue sports and plan on following a different course which means not conducting open warfare with your coaches!!! Heed my words BUB!
Crazed_Stallion
So rich my bud, so rich.
Crazed_Stallion
Oh, they know me. Gave up me. Lol. Come on man. I haven't said anything that wasn't true that a regular donor wouldn't say. Who cares.
CaliforniaCowboy
Crazed_Stallion said:

Oh, they know me. Gave up me. Lol. Come on man. I haven't said anything that wasn't true that a regular donor wouldn't say. Who cares.
regular donors do not post with the vile that you have shown towards our team and our coaches.

let that sink in for a bit
Crazed_Stallion
Or… something has to change. The high horse will fall off, he can't continue to belittle the fans. Chad and I are having a luncheon next week with a few others. Believe me when I say there are a bunch of us. I'm just the outspoken one.
CaliforniaCowboy
Crazed_Stallion said:

Or… something has to change. The high horse will fall off, he can't continue to belittle the fans. Chad and I are having a luncheon next week with a few others. Believe me when I say there are a bunch of us. I'm just the outspoken one.
Chad needs to go.... never been impressed. Tell him so for me.

Thanks.

Just another politician trying to be an AD. and I came from a system where we had 23 ADs.....
Pokes4158
Cali never been impressed lol so fitting
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

Cali never been impressed lol so fitting
well... make me a list of his great accomplishments... maybe you can change my mind.

best I can tell is working to keep Gundy happy and at OSU (lots of folks calling for change), and touting that lousy B12 media rights agreement that he had nothing to do with.

what did I miss? A giant donor making a $165 million dollar donation?

come on, impress me.
Pokes4158
Cali I don't think it's possible to impress you. Are you now implying you want Gundy gone?
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

Cali I don't think it's possible to impress you. Are you now implying you want Gundy gone?
never said that, and did not imply that.

keep fishing, you'll find something to pick a fight over, it's what you do on this site.
Pokes4158
Just asked a question lol seems like you don't like Gundy or something. We fight cali we fight don't forget that. You are an equal party
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

Just asked a question lol seems like you don't like Gundy or something. We fight cali we fight don't forget that. You are an equal party
you fight.

I said leave me alone. I did not imply anything. leave me alone
Pokes4158
Oh now you want me to leave you alone? Comes full circle now doesn't it?
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

Oh now you want me to leave you alone? Comes full circle now doesn't it?
I have always wanted you to leave me alone. do it.

did too, did not, did too, did not

for goodness sakes man
Pokes4158
I think you're now starting to understand how it feels
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

Be sure to remind Chad you're a Zero season ticket holder and you're not interested in any OSU position or move that's at odds with OU.
Joe Khatib
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

Be sure to remind Chad you're a Zero season ticket holder and you're not interested in any OSU position or move that's at odds with OU.
He ISNT THAT WELL LIKED BY A LOT OF PEOPLE, despite what he puts out about doing lunch with Chad!!!
Pokes4158
Why is everyone chopping on chad now?
Joe Khatib
Joe Khatib said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

He ISNT THAT WELL LIKED BY A LOT OF PEOPLE, despite what he puts out about doing lunch with Chad!!!
I also laugh my arse off when he thinks he can go up against one of the richest/wealthiest men in Stillwater! By the way BUD, the Gundys being former champion wrestlers don't take PRISONERS!
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

they are not picking on Chad, BigRed, try to follow along. They just figured out who the sooner_Stallion actually is, and said Stallion is a Sooner tool even if he has lunch with Chad.

Crazed_Stallion
LOL, you boys/girls sure are fun.
Duke Silver
CaliforniaCowboy said:

CowboyRed said:

they are not picking on Chad, BigRed, try to follow along. They just figured out who the sooner_Stallion actually is, and said Stallion is a Sooner tool even if he has lunch with Chad.
Anyone actually think he has lunch with chad??? Good lord

gary121853
RA,
Nice article that goes a long way toward confirming what the fan base wants to know.... ie... NO ONE is happy with the 2022 version of Cowboy FB! To me, after reading/hearing/reflecting, most opinions fall into 2 broad groups:
1. Injuries-all the 'ills' of 2022 can be traced back to 'simply bad luck with injuries'.... 'the 'is what it is' group
2. Issues- injuries were just an inconvenience that exposed serious issues (present for long time) that have gone unaddressed for too long. This can no longer be allowed if progress is to be made.

I definitely fit into group 2. I have felt for a long-time, that Cowboy FB was stuck in a 'kick the can down the road' mode due alot to Gundy's natural DNA of not embracing 'change'.

It will take alot more than 'stadium improvements' announcements to break me out of that feeling. I can only HOPE that there are a FEW Board of Regents folk that feel the same way and giving Chad W. an earful!
OSUgary
Orangeheart72
So if Robert or someone knows, does this new "portal player counts against the 85 limit" mean if say a red-shirt freshman rb transfers out of OSU this upcoming open transfer period he counts against our 85 for three more years?! At first I read Roberts' article to think it refers to incoming transfers only, but then I read again the "if a portal players sticks, quits, leaves, is injured, anything he counts against your number.
CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72 said:

So if Robert or someone knows, does this new "portal player counts against the 85 limit" mean if say a red-shirt freshman rb transfers out of OSU this upcoming open transfer period he counts against our 85 for three more years?! At first I read Roberts' article to think it refers to incoming transfers only, but then I read again the "if a portal players sticks, quits, leaves, is injured, anything he counts against your number.
I read his statement to be more of a protection for the kids transferring in, since they can't transfer and play again without sitting out and losing eligibility, so they (kids transferring in) need some protection from getting booted from the team/school immediately after taking a chance on a team.

tulsasig
I'm not suggesting that Coach Gundy is on the hot seat, but the Gary Patterson case demonstrates that even long-term successful coaches can be pushed out if they don't perform. One year later TCU is probably going to the CFP under a new coach. Gundy needs to raise his own bar. Our recruiting needs to pick up dramatically - top 20 not top 40. We have talent needs across the board, and unless we start filling them, 2023 could be another disappointing year. Same thing goes for raising the bar with assistant coaches. Our team has been poorly prepared at times this year with listless starts, sloppy tackling, unimaginative play calling and game plans. Hopefully, University leadership will communicate to Coach Gundy that the football program status quo will not enable us to meet our overall objectives. I believe increased accountability will be a hallmark of Dr. Shrum's administration.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
tulsasig said:

I'm not suggesting that Coach Gundy is on the hot seat, but the Gary Patterson case demonstrates that even long-term successful coaches can be pushed out if they don't perform. One year later TCU is probably going to the CFP under a new coach. Gundy needs to raise his own bar. Our recruiting needs to pick up dramatically - top 20 not top 40. We have talent needs across the board, and unless we start filling them, 2023 could be another disappointing year. Same thing goes for raising the bar with assistant coaches. Our team has been poorly prepared at times this year with listless starts, sloppy tackling, unimaginative play calling and game plans. Hopefully, University leadership will communicate to Coach Gundy that the football program status quo will not enable us to meet our overall objectives. I believe increased accountability will be a hallmark of Dr. Shrum's administration.

TCU isn't where they are because they raised the ranking of the recruiting class. Seeking a higher ranking as a goal is way off base. Seeking better results is a legitimate ask/goal. Gundy should be held accountable for results on the field and classroom, not on some site's recruiting ranking.
CaliforniaCowboy
tulsasig said:

Sonny Dykes DID NOT bring a bunch of new players, he's accomplished most of what he's done with Patterson's kids.

Dykes does bring a much more dynamic offense, which is clearly making a difference.

I've been calling for that at OSU for some time... it was pretty good under what Holgy put in, then Gundy started tinkering with it, now the offense is fairly broken and stagnant.

Our success at OSU has always come with wide open passing attacks, and a passing QB, not this crap we've been running since Rudolph left.

but....it's Gundy's team. Until and unless he decides to change offenses, and/or OSU changes coaches, then we're going to be mired in this hybrid mess of whatever it is we run
Crazed_Stallion
13 players were brought in by TCU
Newton Starting CB
Oyetade Starting Guard
Fox Starting DT
Mitchell Rotating DL
Coleman Starting Edge
Rochester Starting OT
Bailey RB
Ali Starting Center
Wiley Starting TE

They did have a lot of players left over from the old coaching staff. They also brought in enough starters and got the other guys leftover to play better. If we dont take any starters on the OL going into 23 there wont be any difference just another 7win (MAYBE) more like 6-6 with no quality QB on the roster.
gary121853
Crazed_Stallion said:

Newton Starting CB
Oyetade Starting Guard
Fox Starting DT
Mitchell Rotating DL
Coleman Starting Edge
Rochester Starting OT
Bailey RB
Ali Starting Center
Wiley Starting TE

They did have a lot of players left over from the old coaching staff. They also brought in enough starters and got the other guys leftover to play better. If we dont take any starters on the OL going into 23 there wont be any difference just another 7win (MAYBE) more like 6-6 with no quality QB on the roster.
Ditto! The KU turnaround was also orchestrated with Transfers as well as other Programs! I doubt seriously that the point you make is all BUT, lost on members of the BoT as well ...
OSUgary
GumbyFromPokeyLand
gary121853 said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

Newton Starting CB
Oyetade Starting Guard
Fox Starting DT
Mitchell Rotating DL
Coleman Starting Edge
Rochester Starting OT
Bailey RB
Ali Starting Center
Wiley Starting TE

Ditto! The KU turnaround was also orchestrated with Transfers as well as other Programs! I doubt seriously that the point you make is all BUT, lost on members of the BoT as well ...

It's always easier for new coaching staffs to take experienced players out of the portal to compete with and/or replace players you didn't recruit. If you're suggesting Gundy go all-in on the portal, it won't come without potential negative consequences. Further, going forward, NIL will play a much larger role with transfers. Not sure OSU can compete at the top levels of that game.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.