Story Poster
Photo by USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

The Coordinator Match-Up for CFP Semifinal, It Has an Oklahoma State Flavor

December 30, 2022

STILLWATER – Maybe not the best time to point this out since the Twitter world is frustrated with Oklahoma State head football coach Mike Gundy for not being more open with his current coaching staff situation and demanding that he make changes. Over the years Gundy has been consistent on when he makes changes and on going about it his way in making hires. Evidence of thoat will be on display on Saturday night in Atlanta at the CFP semifinal in the Peach Bowl between No. 1-Georgia and No. 3-Ohio State. The Georgia offense is run by former Oklahoma State receivers coach then in a second tenure working under Mike Gundy offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Todd Monken. He will match football chess moves with Ohio State defensive coordinator and former Cowboys defensive coordinator Jim Knowles. 

USATODAY Sports
Monken at the Peach Bowl/CFP Semifinal Media Days is still close to Gundy.

In his second run in Stillwater, Monken followed a popular choice in Mike Leach protege’ Dana Holgorsen who left to become head coach at West Virginia. Monken was not a fan favorite on hiring, but by the time he was done he was one of the most successful Cowboy coordinators helping the Pokes to a 12-1 finish and No. 2-ranking in the country.

Monken left after the 2013 season to become head coach at Southern Miss. He would go on to become an NFL offensive coordinator at Tampa Bay before going to Georgia.

Knowles hiring from Duke was also widely questioned by Oklahoma State fans, but in his tenure (2018-21) he built perhaps the best defense in program history in the 12-2 season of 2021. Knowles would leave after that season to become one of the highest paid coordinators in college football, the highest in Ohio State history at $1.9-million per year. 

There you have it, arguably the architects of the best offense and the best defense for the Pokes that will now square off in the Peach Bowl for a trip to the CFP National Championship Game. 

This season Georgia under Monken is averaging 39.1 points a game, 207-yards rushing, 285-yards passing, and 492-yards of total offense per game. 

USATODAY Sports
Jim Knowles at the Peach Bowl/CFP Semifinal Media Day.

Meanwhile, Ohio State on defense averages allowing 19.3 points per game, 119-yards rushing, 184-yards passing, and 304-yards of total offense per game. Another strong season for Knowles just over the 18 points and 296-yards his Oklahoma State defense allowed per game last season.

Earlier this season in a battle of former Oklahoma State coordinators, Knowles and Ohio State beat former Oklahoma State offensive coordinator and current playcaller for Nittany Lions 44-31 in a game at Penn State.

It is a fun angle for Oklahoma State fans on New Year’s Eve. 

Discussion from...

The Coordinator Match-Up for CFP Semifinal, It Has an Oklahoma State Flavor

7,047 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OT
Pokes4158
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wasn't a public warning like you are giving me. Seems a little unfair. Why not give me a private warning? Probably because we aren't buddies and you don't have my personal number.
Pokes4158
My point is you jumped all over me in public for calling out cali but you do absolutely nothing to them. What's the difference? The rules obviously don't apply to everyone
OT
Better than kittens fighting with a tennis ball.
CanadianCowboy
OT said:

I know, right lol
Pokes4158
What do we call this?
OT
Glass of ice water will do the trick.
Pokes4158
Keep it professional and about sports. Right?
Joe Khatib
OT said:

^^^^^^^^^^ He/She is right, you get a STAR MADAM OR SIR!!!
Eclectic
The officiating in this tcu/ mich game has been so one sided. Yormark better stand up to this or it will go on forever.
Joe Khatib
Todd Monken 1 Jim Knowles 0. That is all!!!
OT
Looked to me like particularly PI calls were not called evenly.
Yes, Yormark needs to spend some time in Dallas for the good of the conference.
Will all the Longhorn and Sooner's faithful find jobs in the SEC, or continue to screw up the conference?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.