Story Poster
Photo by Bruce Waterfield/OSU Athletics
Oklahoma State Football

Updated: Brett Yormark Has a Smart Plan and I Believe I Know What It Is

March 7, 2023

Editor’s Note: With all the rumblings of re-alignment going on with the Big 12 and Pac-12 recently, we felt it was appropriate to re-release this article and change its status from premium to free. It’s also been reported the Colorado University Board of Regents has scheduled an emergency meeting for Wednesday and that Pac-12 status is on the agenda. (Originally released February 25.)

STILLWATER – The Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark spent Valentine’s Day not with his lovely wife, Elaina Scotto, but in Stillwater, OK, watching Oklahoma State battle Kansas inside Gallagher-Iba Arena. He spent a little over an hour before hand addressing Oklahoma State student-athletes across the board in the “O” Club on the concourse level of GIA.

I wasn’t privy to that meeting, nor the time he spent with Oklahoma State University President Dr. Kayse Shrum, or with athletic director Chad Weiberg, or with head football coach Mike Gundy. All I know is everyone from the Shrums to Weiberg to Gundy to the athletes was impressed. Yormark is confident, almost to the point of absolute certainty when he speaks.

He always has a plan. This is not a man that flies by the seat of his pants. He has a plan now; and through conversations, observation, study and nearly 40-years of learning about the college athletic industry, as well as television from the close to 20-years in that business and plenty of freelancing since has given me the confidence to put together a good hypothesis.

In the end, Yormark is going to help the Big 12 and the sport of football by magnifying the second sport of basketball. 

Yormark has a plan. Last week, Florida State University athletic director Michael Alford told his school’s Board of Trustees that something had to change fast or FSU and every other Power Five school not in the SEC or Big Ten was in competitive and business trouble. Alford was referring to the expected payouts from the SEC and Big Ten to their schools estimated at near $100 million annually.

"Something has to change because we cannot compete nationally being $30 million behind every year," Alford said later to ESPN. "It's not one year. We're talking about $30 million compounded year after year." 

Of course, with the SEC it is ESPN that is making those huge shares possible with the television contract that starts in the 2024-25 academic and athletic calendar. 

The Big 12 is in better shape than the ACC, which signed a bad television deal with, yes, ESPN, and it goes through the year 2036. The Big 12 and Yormark garnered a better deal with ESPN and FOX Sports with a $2 billion six-year extension of their deal that goes through 2030-31. 

Robert Allen - Pokes Report
The new schools have good brands, especially BYU.

It is that target that I feel Yormark is working toward now. The recent finality of getting Texas and Oklahoma out of the Big 12 and on to the SEC after this upcoming academic and athletic year helps. BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, and Houston come in this year, so the college athletics community can now see exactly what that looks like. 

You can look up on YouTube and on the internet and watch any various podcast or videos with crazy screaming and yelling guys talking about all forms of conference realignment and latest rumor heard in the bleachers from Stillwater to Morgantown to Lubbock. Forget all that. 

Yormark is not a screamer. Like we said, he is a planner and a thinker. If you pay attention, then his plan becomes very clear. The man fully understands that football is the king. The television numbers make that clear. Yormark can’t do anything about losing Texas and Oklahoma, two monster football brands. He can do everything in his power to build up his remaining brands. 

Oklahoma State is steady, TCU is surging, Kansas State is steady, Texas Tech is surging, and the newcomers like Cincinnati, and Central Florida have lots of potential. BYU is a national and iconic brand. There is lots to work with. 

Big 12 Conference
Mike Gundy (right) has confirmed that Yormark knows how important football is. He also knows he can build up basketball.

Deep down, Yormark is a basketball guy. He’s shown with his NACAR and ROC Nation experience that he can build up and market about anything, but he’s had the most career practice with basketball. 

Up until now conferences have negotiated their multi-media rights all together. Networks and outside media companies bid on the conference as a whole. You get football and basketball, but you also have to work with women’s basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, track and field, swimming and diving, and all of the sports.

Watching Yormark, I believe he hopes to change that by the time the upcoming Big 12 extension with ESPN and FOX Sports ends in 2030-31. 

Yormark pledged expansion when he was in Stillwater and this man doesn’t pledge unless he is certain of the outcome. We know that Yormark has shown he wanted into three expansive situations. 

1. He wants schools to created Pacific time zone football options for the future (Big 12 after dark).

2. He wants more basketball, perhaps powerhouse Gonzaga as a basketball-only member.

3. He wants to East Coast basketball influence for the Big 12.

Yormark has talked about the Big 12 rebranding and being a coast-to-coast conference. The Pac-12 media rights negotiations have been somewhat of a disaster and Yormark helped by jumping the Pac-12 with the major sports dedicated networks and getting the Big 12 deal done ahead of the Pac-12. 

He has his eyes on Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona State but Oregon and Washington aren’t off the table until something happens with the Ducks and the Huskies. 

I believe Yormark with get his west coast additions to create 9 p.m. (Central) inventory of football Saturdays. If you get Arizona with their basketball, then that is a plus. 

I think Gonzaga will come into the Big 12 as a basketball only member. They would only share in basketball revenue but that would be so much more than anything they have collected through the West Coast Conference. 

Alonzo Adams-USA TODAY Sports
Yormark knows the Big 12 is the best league for hoops. How much more money is there if you make it better.

I believe Yormark will add an odd number of East Coast basketball schools as basketball-only members. This could be one school to go with current eastern time zone schools West Virginia, Cincinnati and Central Florida, or it could be three schools. Add the odd number to Gonzaga and the existing Big 12 and you have either an 18-or-20-team basketball conference. 

Now, the real innovation from Yormark is his negotiating strategy for the future. He will bid the Big 12 television/multimedia rights out separately, football in one negotiation and basketball in the other. I could see the other sports being tied into those sports. The one sport, even with Oklahoma leaving that might be a potential money enticer vs. lump in would be softball. ESPN has discovered how attractive it is becoming. Oklahoma State and Baylor are still strong, especially Oklahoma State.

In the end, two negotiations: football bigger, but the best basketball conference in the Power Five not on steroids with Houston, Gonzaga, and more could make more money bid out on its own merits. 

I could be wrong on all of this. There is a certain amount of guessing to my hypothesis, but I feel like this is on track.

Discussion from...

Updated: Brett Yormark Has a Smart Plan and I Believe I Know What It Is

20,035 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GumbyFromPokeyLand
RodeoPoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
did you just say there will be nothing but hope until this 6-year deal is finished?

Is that really a good deal? To be left behind (as FSU is noticing) for 6 more years, AND THEN, do something?

You may find hope in this mess, but it just looks like a big sinking mess to me.

... add the Zags because in 6 years we might get some value from them, even though Mark Few will be retired? Sigh.
CanadianCowboy
I truly don't understand your POV of "nothing but hope for the next 6 years...." We have a new media deal that takes us forward for the next 6 years with known terms. We have a conference leadership team that is working a plan for enhancing / upgrading the media deal with conference expansion. This certainly sounds a much deeper plan of action than simply "hope". You are obviously seeing something (or NOT seeing something that you expect) that I'm not. I'm very curious what that is...
Osusae
Please proofread these articles before you post them
NJAggie
Yes, the Big XII is not catching them in 2 years, but in 7 when this contract is over things will look a lot different. It's likely we'll have PAC schools in house by then. That we'll be in position to land ACC schools, and clearly be the #3 conference.

Also, he is not banking solely on football. He wants to get the basketball separate so he can market events, including international ones that are going to pay our schools more money. A lot of this can start forming before the next contract. So over this contract he still plans on increasing revenue, its not sit and wait 6 years.

He's not throwing all the details out there, but the separation of the contracts, basketball events, and international marketing are ones that he has called out.

When our Presidents hired Yormark they hired a next gen CEO. He's got concepts going out years, and unlike the guy that sunk the PAC his are not heavy investments, but things that will bring in revenue from the start. These other guys are thinking what do we do in 5 years he's already thinking about the next 20.

His relationships with the TV people got us the current deal, and as we now see he didn't leave money on the table he got us settled before there was no room left at the P5 level on the networks. He's not going to come up with plans that he can't sell to networks, and get paid for. We are in very good hands and we will get within striking distance of the B1G/SEC in the span of the next contract for football.
Eclectic
Our contract expires prior to the ACC, SEC, B1G. I highly doubt he waits until the last minute (like Kliavkoff has done), but if he actually does, we still negotiate before anyone else. The brilliance of Yormark is that he see's the total sports landscape (not just college football) and how tight/loose media rights are becoming. As I commented to you in an earlier article....look at the PAC! Yormark single handedly took them out of any GOR deals with a major network provider for Tier 1 rights. You *****ed about it, but it was a smart move. I don't understand your disdain for him....
NJAggie
Yormak did two things in that contract. First he knew the market well enough to know that getting done first put the next man up in a bad position. It's not about no money, its about no slots. The PAC is basically trying to get paid for providing games for a single slot on ESPN because the Big XII deal got done. ESPN doesn't need them for the prime time slot, they already have SEC, Big XII, & ACC options for that, but they do need them for that 10pm et slot, but you're not getting top dollar for that slot. FOX wasn't even interested. And that's why the money dropped when the Big XII signed, it's also why ESPN was willing to do the extension. He knew the market, knew the product had less value until proven otherwise, and instead of the $15M that everyone said we'd get when the exit news broke he got $32M.

The second thing he did was create a situation where it was likely the PAC teams had to move. No one as super excited about the pro-rata clause from ESPN, but that did two things it set a ceiling for the PAC. ESPN was not going to pay more than what they had guaranteed in that for the full PAC, so that meant their bid dropped from $25M to $20M. That became the baseline, and no one is willing to pay more than ESPN for their inventory. So they're stuck and ESPN was effectively able to negotiate to move teams without doing anything they could be sued over.

Look at the contrast. Yormark got the best deal possible 1 year early after being on the job for only 4 months. Kliavkoff has been at the PAC for nearly 3 years and is still trying to get a deal close enough to done that he can actually take it to the board.
RodeoPoke
we shall see what we shall see... lots of moving pieces still.

being locked into an inferior contract and falling behind by $30/yr for 6 years IS NOT a good deal, I'm not sure why anybody would compare us to the PAC, and their poor content, that is not the arms race that we are in.

I have yet to see even one thing that impresses me.... but I'm still hoping. If we were going to break out and offer basketball separately, why not now? Why sign this bad deal and then wait for years to pass and hope that idea is actually marketable?

TXPokeEnding
RodeoPoke said:

we shall see what we shall see... lots of moving pieces still.

being locked into an inferior contract and falling behind by $30/yr for 6 years IS NOT a good deal, I'm not sure why anybody would compare us to the PAC, and their poor content, that is not the arms race that we are in.

I have yet to see even one thing that impresses me.... but I'm still hoping. If we were going to break out and offer basketball separately, why not now? Why sign this bad deal and then wait for years to pass and hope that idea is actually marketable?

In my 30 years in senior leadership in large organizations, I've seen that the biggest complainers are most often the guys who have no workable plan and no idea what they're talking about.

I am imagining Yormark reading your comment and slapping his forehead, "Separate basketball now? Dang! Why didn't I think of that?!"

Please present your plan, and discuss details including the obstacles you would need to overcome. For example, don't just say "offer basketball separately", discuss what do you see as the barriers of doing this now and how would you overcome those barriers. Otherwise, you're just a complainer.
NJAggie
Yeah, not really sure you think he could do about the current gap. It's there and it will take time to close. There was no more money to be found out there. Had he waited 2 years and gone to market no telling how low the money would have been.

And had he not gotten that "terrible" deal todays announced improvements would be on hold so all that money could go to paying operating costs until we got a deal at least where we got this deal.
RodeoPoke
TXPoke4Life said:

In my 30 years in senior leadership in large organizations, I've seen that the biggest complainers are most often the guys who have no workable plan and no idea what they're talking about.

I am imagining Yormark reading your comment and slapping his forehead, "Separate basketball now? Dang! Why didn't I think of that?!"

Please present your plan, and discuss details including the obstacles you would need to overcome. For example, don't just say "offer basketball separately", discuss what do you see as the barriers of doing this now and how would you overcome those barriers. Otherwise, you're just a complainer.
I got 40 years of senior leadership in mega corporations.... I've seen the worst leader are those that needlessly and automatically dismiss the input of others and then call them "complainers", "troublemakers", not "buying into the sanctioned vision of the leaders".

Yormark can slap anything that he wants, and he dang sure should be slapping his forehead and saying "Doh".

I don't have to present anything, it's his freaking idea to separate basketball, not mine, why he thinks it could not be done now has not been provided to us, the only information we got is that it was decided that it apparently would be best to try and do that in 6 years when this contract expires.

Stop complaining about other people having ideas, otherwise you're just a "go along to get along"... a closed minded "canceler".

how about we get along and stop your name calling. I only commented on what I read, it is HIS PLAN to separate basketball (read the article), and HIS PLAN to not include that in this recent contract.

All we've seen so far is a contract that give is far less money than the B1G and the SEC, and far less money to allow OU and UT to leave, and even taking some of our money and paying FOX for the pleasure. Fox should be paying us. Espn should be be paying us. giving $20 million to Fox just to get the goons gone more quickly is a very steep price, IMO.

I have seen nothing original nor brilliant come out of any of his actions since taking over at an egregious salary.
RodeoPoke
NJAggie said:

Yeah, not really sure you think he could do about the current gap. It's there and it will take time to close. There was no more money to be found out there. Had he waited 2 years and gone to market no telling how low the money would have been.

And had he not gotten that "terrible" deal todays announced improvements would be on hold so all that money could go to paying operating costs until we got a deal at least where we got this deal.
you have no evidence to support any of those statements, that are entirely conjecture.

we shall see what we shall see. The only redeeming factor is the possibility of having more money added to the contract if we can get the PAC schools. But that is really just fundamental to media contracts these days, not ground breaking.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
RodeoPoke said:

TXPoke4Life said:

I got 40 years of senior leadership in mega corporations.... I've seen the worst leader are those that needlessly and automatically dismiss the input of others and then call them "complainers", "troublemakers", not "buying into the sanctioned vision of the leaders".

Yormark can slap anything that he wants, and he dang sure should be slapping his forehead and saying "Doh".

I don't have to present anything, it's his freaking idea to separate basketball, not mine, why he thinks it could not be done now has not been provided to us, the only information we got is that it was decided that it apparently would be best to try and do that in 6 years when this contract expires.

Stop complaining about other people having ideas, otherwise you're just a "go along to get along"... a closed minded "canceler".

how about we get along and stop your name calling. I only commented on what I read, it is HIS PLAN to separate basketball (read the article), and HIS PLAN to not include that in this recent contract.

All we've seen so far is a contract that give is far less money than the B1G and the SEC, and far less money to allow OU and UT to leave, and even taking some of our money and paying FOX for the pleasure. Fox should be paying us. Espn should be be paying us. giving $20 million to Fox just to get the goons gone more quickly is a very steep price, IMO.

I have seen nothing original nor brilliant come out of any of his actions since taking over at an egregious salary.

"I got 40 years of senior leadership in mega corporations…."

Something in that comment makes me raise an eyebrow, or two.
pokeacola
Eyebrows raised over here, too
Duke Silver
Mine aren't raised. Mine are frowned because i smell something that is on my shoes.
TXPokeEnding
RodeoPoke said:

TXPoke4Life said:

You're right. These are opinions. No name calling. Promise.
RodeoPoke
I mimiced your post.... nonsense for nonsense.

go pick on your own wild allegations, not my parody of it.

geez you guys.

HOW ABOUT THE POINT MADE? Can we talk about the actual point instead of focus on how we got there with the wild use of bogus "I'm more important that you" justifications?

this whole site is starting to fall down that "OP rabbit hole" of bickering over semantics, instead of talking about issues. (apparently lead by that Gumby character, since this thread had died until he posted something - who know what, since he's on ignore, but it apparently got some of you to join his mindless bashing chain club).

I registered to get access to RA's content, not to listen to other posters brag about how great they think that they are.
JPat
We need more major D1 schools getting into men's soccer. And, refuse to allow OU to stay in B12 wrestling. Let them find their own gig or end the program. These are my thoughts. Good day.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
RodeoPoke said:

geez you guys.

HOW ABOUT THE POINT MADE? Can we talk about the actual point instead of focus on how we got there with the wild use of bogus "I'm more important that you" justifications?

this whole site is starting to fall down that "OP rabbit hole" of bickering over semantics, instead of talking about issues. (apparently lead by that Gumby character, since this thread had died until he posted something - who know what, since he's on ignore, but it apparently got some of you to join his mindless bashing chain club).

I registered to get access to RA's content, not to listen to other posters brag about how great they think that they are.

It's been explained ad nauseam (1) the benefits of getting a media deal done now instead of waiting until after a new PAC deal, (2) getting a media deal with BOTH of the top-shelf providers, which unlike any other conference allows the B12 to ensures ESPN and Fox maximize the conferences exposure and therefore value, (3) the maximum reasonable value of the media deal given the existing massive investments by Fox and ESPN in the B1G and SEC, (4) getting a pro rata increase for conference expansion out of ESPN.

Now, just look at the disaster unfolding for the PAC and then tell us how Yourmark screwed up and should have waited and negotiated your "fantasy" media deal with your "40 years of senior management experience in mega corporations" level of reasoning and logic.

BTW, was your claim of "40 years of senior management experience in mega corporations" not bragging about how great you are?
RodeoPoke
that gumby guy is so aggressive towards others, he apparently keeps attacking others even when he knows he is on ignore.

Joe Khatib
RodeoPoke said:

that gumby guy is so aggressive towards others, he apparently keeps attacking others even when he knows he is on ignore.

Umm, Hello Pot, this is kettle, you are black!!!
Joe Khatib
Joe Khatib said:

RodeoPoke said:

Umm, Hello Pot, this is kettle, you are black!!! I was wondering who as going to replace California Cowboy!
GumbyFromPokeyLand
RodeoPoke said:

Interesting, if I'm on ignore.
RodeoPoke
Joe Khatib said:

Joe Khatib said:

RodeoPoke said:

Umm, Hello Pot, this is kettle, you are black!!! I was wondering who as going to replace California Cowboy!

don't you have a sooner to attack?

enjoy ignore
GumbyFromPokeyLand
RodeoPoke said:

Hmmm. Explaining the benefits of the media deal Yourmark negotiated equates to attacking other posters?

Some posters just need to be reminded how far out in left-field they're standing.

But, whatever.
RowdyRawhide
A "Smart Plan" would have been to hold the Sooners and Longhorns to their 2024-25 Grant of Rights obligations.

I calculate each remaining Big 12 team would have collected approximately an additional $15 million.

We got the "Other People's Money" treatment instead! The conference commissioner and the remaining Big 12

Presidents have been very casual with potential university funds. I bet they wouldn't have "moved on" had the

Grant of Rights agreement's involved their personal funds.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
RowdyRawhide said:

A "Smart Plan" would have been to hold the Sooners and Longhorns to their 2024-25 Grant of Rights obligations.

I calculate each remaining Big 12 team would have collected approximately an additional $15 million.

We got the "Other People's Money" treatment instead! The conference commissioner and the remaining Big 12

Presidents have been very casual with potential university funds. I bet they wouldn't have "moved on" had the

You're making it astronomically more simple than it is in reality.

There is no reasonably calculable value associated with OU/UT (or any team's) Grant of Rights. There was never going to be a situation where OU/UT games would have been televised in 2024/2025 as a member of the SEC with the B12 holding the media rights. The minute either or both teams became members of the SEC, Fox would sue the B12 and probably ESPN, the B12 would sue the SEC, OU and UT, and OU/UT would counter-sue the B12 and Fox. There was never a chance any of the parties could go forward with that uncertainty. Instead of everyone paying lawyers, all parties looked for an acceptable settlement. If the B12 wanted to part ways with OU/UT a year early, this was probably close to, if not the best deal we were gonna get.

Did the B12 get as much as they should, or could have if they played real hard ball? Meh, maybe not. But at some point, you take what you can get and just move on.
RodeoPoke
RowdyRawhide said:

the daily saga continues.... Utah AD practically laughs in the face of that goof Dennis Dodd who is stirring up most of this nonsense talk.

But, it sounds like that won't be happening, as Utah Athletic Director Mark Harlan threw cold water on the idea.

GumbyFromPokeyLand
RodeoPoke said:

geez you guys.

A tip of the hat to Joe K! It's clear now (as Joe first pointed out) Rodeo is the reappearance of California Cowboy.

Welcome back, Cali.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.