Story Poster
Oklahoma State Football Recruiting

Chauncey Johnson Gets Offer and Likely Visiting Later this Week

June 19, 2023

STILLWATER – The 6-4, 288-pound lineman in the white helmet and the putple shorts put on a really good show. His leverage and power impressed me and in the one-on-one portion of the Down and Dirty Linemen Camp Johnson was unbeaten. Oklahoma State offensive line coach Charlie Dickey and offensive line analyst Zach Allen paid a lot of attention to Johnson during and after the camp. That attention turned into a scholarship offer from Oklahoma State on Monday night, June 19.

To watch this video, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Chauncey Johnson Gets Offer and Likely Visiting Later this Week

6,484 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Robert Allen
CYalch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do we know how Mitch Hodnett's visit went?
Pokes4158
I just struggle with these dudes that dominated at a camp that had no high level competition for them to test themselves on. No disrespect to any prospect but if they aren't dominating top talent from big football areas then how do we really know? We continue to only be able to recruit these kids with a real shot at landing them but how has that worked for us? We aren't developing lineman that well so we need talent. Taking all these projects is nerve wracking and up to this point this method hasn't helped us build out a competitive o line room. Please for the love of god can osu recruit kids that have a higher chance of making it at this level
rcfb
I was curious about Mitch as well. But now I'm suspecting we are giving Chauncey a chance cause we missed another Oline recruit that we went for. Happening a lot lately to our Oline recruiting.
principalg
It is time for Charlie Dickey to hit the road. Hasn't been a very good coach, and he definitely cannot recruit.
Eddy Hackleman
Good stuff, thanks for the write-up!
RodeoPoke
principalg said:

It is time for Charlie Dickey to hit the road. Hasn't been a very good coach, and he definitely cannot recruit.
and who would you get.... Dickey is definitely much, much better than the last 4 OLine coaches we had in here.

The guys he's brining in keep causing our younger guys to bail out and go start for other teams, like TTech, San Diego State and BYU.

It doesn't seem like you have any idea what you're talking about.

last year we had late defections and extensive injuries. Prior to the injuries we were kicking everybody's butts up and down the field.

principalg
I did not see our offensive line kick any bodies butt up and down the field. We could not run the ball and had a quarterback that was running for his life.

I don't believe you know what you are talking about.
RodeoPoke
principalg said:

I did not see our offensive line kick any bodies butt up and down the field. We could not run the ball and had a quarterback that was running for his life.

I don't believe you know what you are talking about.
well.... I'm not sure how we could score 58, 34, 63, 36, 41, 30, 41 in regulation and be 5-1 without a certain amount of high-level success from the OLine... and Spencer was NOT running for his life then, he was mostly passing.

After the injuries (like to Woodward, etc,) then we started to struggle.

The stats support what I'm talking about, if you're interested in facts.

regardless, bash the coaches if you feel you must, have a nice day.

principalg
Offensive line was not good last year. If you want to go back to the year before, we could not not get enough push to score on 2 different occasions on the goal line to score in the Big 12 championship game. Maybe if Richardson was able to be in the game, he could have gotten in the end zone on the last play, but he had a shoe problem. Who knows?

I will bash Dickey and Dunn as well. If you don't like it, tough. I really do not care!!!!!

Also, if our offensive line play was so good, why are we going to a different blocking scheme this year?

I guess you are a Dickey fan or acquaintance, so you have to back him. Glad you are satisfied with poor line play and coaching.
Joe Khatib
principalg said:

Offensive line was not good last year. If you want to go back to the year before, we could not not get enough push to score on 2 different occasions on the goal line to score in the Big 12 championship game. Maybe if Richardson was able to be in the game, he could have gotten in the end zone on the last play, but he had a shoe problem. Who knows?

I will bash Dickey and Dunn as well. If you don't like it, tough. I really do not care!!!!!

Also, if our offensive line play was so good, why are going to a different blocking scheme this year?

I guess you are a Dickey fan or acquaintance, so you have to back him. Glad you are satisfied with poor line play and coaching.
Yup, that is why I have advocated to get rid of the Cowboy back concept and go with true inline tight ends and true full backs the last couple of years! A 270 pound tight end, not a 230 pound hybrid, sealing the edge on that sweep at the end of the Big XII championship game against Baylor would have EASILY RESULTED IN A TOUCHDOWN!!!
Joe Khatib
Pokes4158 said:

I just struggle with these dudes that dominated at a camp that had no high level competition for them to test themselves on. No disrespect to any prospect but if they aren't dominating top talent from big football areas then how do we really know? We continue to only be able to recruit these kids with a real shot at landing them but how has that worked for us? We aren't developing lineman that well so we need talent. Taking all these projects is nerve wracking and up to this point this method hasn't helped us build out a competitive o line room. Please for the love of god can osu recruit kids that have a higher chance of making it at this level
I tell you what Sparky or Cowboy Red or your new name, the Coaches phone numbers and e-mails are available through the website!!! Why don't you e-mail or call them and ask why they aren't doing that and tell us all what they say in response, you just might break a story here on Roberts site!!!
Pokes4158
Go to sleep crusader
Orangeheart72
I'd suggest folks judge Dickey after the next year.....or even two years. If we're not average or better by then, yes, it might be warranted to have a change. He's just now coming into his 5th recruiting class. And on OL, OSU has almost always been a developmental school that's better when the lines are more senior. Plus, we're moving back into Dickey's KSU style blocking this year. As far as how you judge recruits like this.....I assume Dickey's 36 years of football coaching may help! His low star count O-line beat UT's defensive line last year.
Pokes4158
Crazy how in life we judge things on results in relation to time but for osu offensive line some people are so giving. Idk what other aspect in life and football is so forgiving. Do we need 7 years of average at our best before we would make a change? People on here always argue with short sections of time when the line was decent but no one ever looks at the body of work as a whole. Osu since wickline has been weak on the o line. Terrible coach after terrible coach. But I guess since the line had a couple injuries the second half of last season it's all forgiven lol smh
Pokes4158
He doesn't want to go back to the year before. Or any other time period. Just last season during our weakest stretch. It's the only time that counts for him
RodeoPoke
principalg said:

Also, if our offensive line play was so good, why are we going to a different blocking scheme this year?

actually, what I said was, our OLine play was not that bad BEFORE THE INJURIES..... Focus man, focus. After that, they were limping through the end of the season.

and what was that you said, our OLine the prior year was good enough to get us into the conference championship game? yep, that's what I thought you said.

Our OLine got us to the conference championship game.

Lastly, I can only presume that they are changing the blocking because I complained enough about the CW crap the last few years, and especially last year it was so obvious all the other teams were pulling guards and sending TEs to the point of attack, except us. You can thank me now.

I am NOT a "Dickey fan nor an acquaintance", I simply have the capacity to be analytical instead of ignorant.

I am not happy with the OLine play, nor was I happy with it. I am simply saying that "fire the coach" is a fools approach to fandom.

Pokes4158
They changed the scheme because of you lolololol
principalg
I thought you had gone away. Still hold my position, and name calling sucks. I'm my opinion, you do not know what you are talking about, and nothing you say will change my mind.

Amazing, a former offensive linemen I know has the same ridicule for Dickey as I have. I assume you are a better expert than him as well.

Dickey up to this point is not a good coach. I hope he proves me wrong this year.
RodeoPoke
principalg said:

and name calling sucks.

so you're saying that you did not call me a "Dickey fan"?

principalg
Let's just drop it. Go Pokes!!!!!
Joe Khatib
Pokes4158 said:

They changed the scheme because of you lolololol
Did the doctor ever find your brain after your last visit or was he not looking in your rear end parts! By the way Robert had a good laugh at YOUR EXPENSE on his show today, he may make you famous before the season is over!!!
Pokes4158
Sounds like some petty **** Robert would do haha like I give a damn
Robert Allen
Staff
You have the right to your opinion. I appreciate your support and subscription.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.