Story Poster
Photo by Oklahoma State Athletics
Oklahoma State Wrestling

Kaden Gfeller Gets Fall, Cowboys Get 37-0 Win and Finish 2021 at 7-0

December 21, 2021

OREM, Utah – The No. 4 Oklahoma State wrestling team improved to 7-0 on the season and 4-0 in Big 12 matches, defeating Utah Valley, 37-0, in the first ever dual meeting between the programs.

OSU capped off a three-match road trip that began on Friday with wins against Air Force and Wyoming. The Cowboys outscored their opponents by a combined score of 112-3 in those matches, which included two shutouts.

The Cowboys separated the score at the middle weights beginning at 149 pounds with a fall from Kaden Gfeller. Leading 2-0 after the first period, Gfeller began in the down position, quickly reversing James Emmer and eventually pinning him at 3:34. No. 14 Wyatt Sheets followed at 157 pounds with a bonus-point win of his own in a 14-1 major decision over Jaxon Garoutte. At 165 pounds, Travis Wittlake picked up his third major decision of the weekend with a 12-3 victory over Danny Snediker.

Four Cowboys improved to 7-0 on the season as No. 12 Trevor Mastrogiovanni (125) and No. 10 Dustin Plott (174) each picked up wins over unranked Wolverines. At 133 pounds, Daton Fix collected an 8-3 decision over No. 20 Haiden Drury, while top-ranked AJ Ferrari defeated No. 23 Evan Bockman, 6-3, at 197 pounds.

A native of Cedar City, Utah, senior Dusty Hone got the start for OSU at 141 pounds after Carter Young had started the previous five duals. After riding Ty Smith the entire second period, Hone used a late reversal in the third and a riding time point to secure a 3-0 decision.

No. 7 Dakota Geer earned his team-leading fourth technical fall of the season against Hunter Morse. With a 15-2 lead at the beginning of the third period, Geer got a quick takedown to make it 17-2 and end the bout at 5:14. Heavyweight Luke Surber won his third match of the road trip defeating Jayden Woodruff, 8-7.

Oklahoma State is scheduled to participate in the Southern Scuffle in Chattanooga, Tennessee, to ring in the new year on January 1-2, before returning to dual competition on January 8 at Little Rock.

No. 4 Oklahoma State 37, Utah Valley 0
Dec. 20, 2021  |  UCCU Center  |  Orem, Utah 

Attendance: 3,522
125: No. 12 Trevor Mastrogiovanni (OSU) dec. Yusief Lillie (UVU), 5-0
133: No. 2 Daton Fix (OSU) dec. No. 20 Haiden Drury (UVU), 8-3
141: Dusty Hone (OSU) dec. Ty Smith (UVU), 3-0
149: No. 19 Kaden Gfeller (OSU) fall James Emmer (UVU), 3:34
157: No. 14 Wyatt Sheets (OSU) MD Jaxon Garoutte (UVU), 14-1
165: No. 5 Travis Wittlake (OSU) MD Danny Snediker (UVU), 12-3
174: No. 10 Dustin Plott (OSU) dec. Kekana Fouret (UVU), 5-1
184: )No. 7 Dakota Geer (OSU)TF Hunter Morse (UVU), 17-2, 5:14
197: No. 1 AJ Ferrari (OSU) dec. No. 23 Evan Bockman (UVU), 6-3
HWT: Luke Surber (OSU) dec. Jayden Woodruff (UVU) 8-7

Discussion from...

Kaden Gfeller Gets Fall, Cowboys Get 37-0 Win and Finish 2021 at 7-0

2,862 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
TUSKAPOKE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I enjoyed watching the dual on the UVU streaming channel on YouTube and did not have to pay for it. Maybe one of these days the rest of the BIG 12 can grow up and get such an advanced media effort to watch other less covered sports. SARCASM!!!! GO POKES!!!!
Danny Deck
ESPN+ has been a great service for our non-Football and Basketball sports for the most part.
TUSKAPOKE
Yep....I subscribe.....The Big 12 is the weakest of the Power 5 conferences in regards to coverage. ESPN+ did not have the Air Force or Wyoming matches Friday on but we can also subscribe to Flo.....now the new OSU Max requires a fee....etc. Needs to be centralized and not have to pay a different subscription fee for every event. That is my point. GO POKES!!!
CaliforniaCowboy
TUSKAPOKE said:

Yep....I subscribe.....The Big 12 is the weakest of the Power 5 conferences in regards to coverage. ESPN+ did not have the Air Force or Wyoming matches Friday on but we can also subscribe to Flo.....now the new OSU Max requires a fee....etc. Needs to be centralized and not have to pay a different subscription fee for every event. That is my point. GO POKES!!!
I didn't analyze it, but likely it has to do with who the home team is and what their 3rd tier media arrangements are.

I think those 2 matches were on the road, and not subject to our Big 12 Now media rights.... thus you found the local team's media coverage.

I agree, there should be some reciprocal fee arrangement so that we don't need varisouls subscriptions to a team when we only play them once.

TUSKAPOKE
I KNOW YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. MY COMMENT IS ANOTHER JAB AT THE BIG 12 LEADERSHIP, ESPECIALLY BOWLSBY, KNUCKLING UNDER TO THE SHORTHORN NETWORK AND THE BIG 12 SETTLING FOR LEFTOVERS LIKE A STREAMING SERVICE OR ANOTHER SUBSCRIPTION TO ANOTHER SERVICE. MAYBE ONE DAY WE'LL GET SOMETHING BETTER LIKE OTHER CONFERENCES HAVE. GO POKES!!!
CaliforniaCowboy
I'm all for knocking Bowsly, but I sincerely do not understand what you're referring to with regard to the other conferences and their networks, especially the streaming part.

OSU appears to have the best of all worlds. The League has a TV deal for football and Basketball. The League has a streaming deal for other sports. OSU has a new service for historical stuff and other stuff.

I guess you could purchase the B1G network or the SEC network and get the stuff that conference wants to show you on cable, and maybe you could stream it if your service provider has that capability.

Certainly our TV contract needs to be bigger $$$, and maybe we could pull in some extra $$$ if we were part of a B12 network (not sure about that), but neither of those would provide what the new OSU service is supposed to provide. That's my understanding anyway.

Can you be more specific about what concerns you about our access to OSU events and stuff?

TUSKAPOKE
K-STATE VS. OSU FOOTBALL...BOTH BOWL TEAMS THIS YEAR GAME ON ESPN+.....WRESTLING HIT AND MISS UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY FOR FLOWRESTLING.....CROSS COUNTRY COVERED BY ESPN BUT SHOWN TWO DAYS LATER....COWGIRL BASKETBALL HIT AND MISS.....COWBGIRL SOCCER????....I GET THE ENTIRE PACKAGE OF SPORT NETWORKS YOU MENTION...OLYMPIC SPORTS ARE HIT AND MISS... PRIMARILY WRESTLING IS MY INTEREST THAT MOST TIMES REQUIRE ADDITIONAL PAY TO FLO....B1G NETWORK COVERS WRESTLING WELL....IT WAS GREAT WATCHING THE UVU YOUTUBE COVERAGE OF THE WRESTLING MATCH...IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE BIG 12 OLYMPIC SPORTS COVERED BETTER AND IN A CENTRAL LOCATION AND NOT HAVE TO PAY ANOTHER FEE ...HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY SEASON AND HOPE YOU CAN WATCH THE FIESTA BOWL OR GO TO IT. .
Danny Deck
It would be great if ESPN picked up the contract for schools that are only affiliate members of the Big 12 for wrestling, but it seems unlikely, and their contracts with Flo would have to expire first anyway. This is by far the most frustrating because only 4 full members have wrestling, and 1 of those, OU, has a separate third tier rights contract.

All of the OSU Soccer games appear to have been on ESPN+ with the exception of three away games, and the OU game was the only one not on an ESPN owned network of some kind.

It looks like for the rest of the year all Women's BB home games will be on ESPN+, two away games have no TV/Streaming mentioned, and then Texas and OU will be using their own contracts.

The most frustrating part of this, OU and Texas, is going to resolve itself soon. All of the rest of conference play should be on ESPN+ at worst, unless the host school chooses not to put it up there for some reason. Competition against out of conference or affiliate conference members is always going to be a struggle, but there is only so much that can be done.
CaliforniaCowboy
your comments peaked my interest in the topic... I picked a random team and looked up their wrestling schedule, Iowa (because, why not Iowa, if anybody is going to be on, it would likely be them, and they're part of the B1G Network BTN).

To my surprise, there is the BTN Network, and also B1G+ streaming Network, for an additional fee.

Some of the Iowa wrestling matches are streamed on B1G+, some are not shown on either network (@ Northwestern, @ Minnesota), and it doesn't appear that they have the Ok State game on Feb 12 televised, although that bout is @Arlington Tx, so there could be other coverage that they are not showing.

https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/wrestling/schedule/

It should be interesting to see which way things go after the goons and horns are cleansed from our broadcast pallets.

I don't think that "networks" (i.e, BTN, SEC, Pac12, Longhorn) are a thing of the future, and likely the B12 will be forging something more technologically forward thinking communications approach.

maybe if Bowsly had even half a brain, he would scoop up the "NIL" name and rights (wink)

a bit off tangent, but maybe I'm on to something here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.