Story Poster
Photo by Jeffrey Swinger-USA TODAY Sports

Updated: Oregon and Utah Need A Place to Land, Time for New Commissioner to Get to Work

June 30, 2022

STILLWATER – Just an update after San Jose Mercury sportswriter and Pac-12 beat expert Jon Wilner broke the story that conference realignment, an annual summer blockbuster, is back for 2022. You might want to give Oklahoma State head football coach Mike Gundy some credit too. Gundy has never stepped off his stance that conference realignment wasn’t done and that there would be more movement sooner rather than later, no pun intended. The news is that USC and UCLA are looking to join the Big Ten in time for the 2024 football season and the 2024-25 academic calendar. Wow!

An update on the Oklahoma State end of this. School President Dr. Kayse Shrum was in Oklahoma City on business and was back in Stillwater later in the day. She was being kept aware of the news. Athletic director Chad Weiberg and deputy athletic director Reid Sigmon was also in the athletics center on Thursday. The department’s resident expert on the Pac-12, senior associate athletic director Kevin Klintworth was not in the office, but was in contact with Weiberg. Klintworth worked at Cal-Berkeley and while not surprised with the move of USC and UCLA still found it interesting especially since UCLA and Cal-Berkeley are in the same system.  I bet Cal people feel a little like Oklahoma State folks felt last summer. 

One athletics staffer said while it did not feel like last summer you could tell some tension in the air. Last year the threat level went to DEFCON one. This move today brought it up somewhere between DEFCON three and four. The movement of the Trojans and the Bruins could trigger the final dominoes in bringing together a super level of college football and schools like Oklahoma State want to get a seat at the table.

What allowed USC and UCLA to depart is that the Pac-12 grant-in-rights concludes after the 2023 season when the league’s current multi-media rights deal concludes. One Pac-12 administrator claimed his conference had just been Sooner’d and Horn’d. They were. Just like Oklahoma and Texas held any future in the Big 12, such as a new grant-in-rights agreement at an arm’s length; USC and UCLA also did the same with regards to an extension of the Pac-12 grant-in-rights. When will conference officials and other schools administrators learn they are being passed over for a better deal.

Wilner claimed that he thinks this is a FOX Television inspired move as they paused the negotiations with the Big Ten and the pause may have been to get the Los Angeles market into the Big Ten before finalizing the new television deal. FOX, in essence, maneuvers a deal to strengthen the Big Ten much like ESPN was in behind the Texas and Oklahoma move into the SEC.

Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Lincoln Riley is going to coach in a real football conference afterall.. 

Okay, as Oklahoma State fans you don’t care about USC and UCLA. It will be fun seeing former OU head coach Lincoln Riley go to a league where he may have to play more than two or three legitimate strong football programs. He will see some competition in the Big Ten. What is important to Oklahoma State University President Dr. Kayse Shrum, vice-president Kyle Wray, athletics director Chad Weiberg, and Gundy is getting Oklahoma State in the best possible place.

Barclay Center Sports and Entertainment
For Yormark, time to get to work.

I would advise new Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark to drop everything, even the last several weeks of Beyonce’ World Tour and get to work on the future of the Big 12. With the announcement of USC and UCLA going east to the Big Ten, he needs to either beef up his conference or he’s likely going to see some of his programs look for some other options.

Just exactly what are the best options for Oklahoma State with regard to the Big 12 or any other development:

Option No. 1

By far the best option for Oklahoma State is to get the SEC to expand again and be one of the teams to get in. SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey may see this development and get antsy to add some more to the SEC. Dr. Shrum has stayed in touch with Sankey and let him know that her school is eager to compete in that league. The SEC and Big Ten are now way in front of the other conferences that were known as Power Five. If you aren’t in either of those two conferences, then you are in a precarious position.

Option No. 2

Oklahoma State needs to hope and see the SEC, Big Ten, and other legitimate schools that are in the top 25-30 in all of college football come together to forge a super association of college football. The schools in the SEC and Big Ten, even Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, and Missouri will be included because they are in the umbrella of the SEC and Big Ten. Outside you would have Clemson, Oklahoma State, North Carolina, Baylor, Miami (Fla), Florida State, Oregon, Washington, and Utah that would seem to be legitimate members of that super football league. Unfortunately, this enhanced conference might be somewhat skinny, skinny enough that some good football schools would not be included.  

Option No. 3

The Big 12 and the Pac-12 finally get together. This was supposed to happen, was even very close seven-years ago, but now it would be out of desperation. I would not advise keeping everybody. Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Houston, Cincinnati, BYU, West Virginia, UCF, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington State, Colorado. Why leave out TCU, California, Arizona, Arizona State? I don’t know how much football value they truly have. Get out the spread sheets, television ratings history, and make decisions accordingly.

Option No. 4

This is my favorite if Oklahoma State isn’t brought in to the SEC or a super football league isn’t formed. Simply go get Utah (best football program in Pac-12) and Oregon (most valuable and most watched program in the Pac-12) and bring them into the Big 12. With Utah you get the “Holy War” rivalry, the best football rivalry in the Rockies and west. Utah plays football like a high level Big 12 program. Oregon brings all the flash and a big brand courtesy of Nike. What about Washington? Sorry, only taking two and they aren’t in the top two.

Discussion from...

Updated: Oregon and Utah Need A Place to Land, Time for New Commissioner to Get to Work

16,386 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Joe Khatib
Joe Khatib
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thank God we are in the top twenty at number 19 with the number of eyeballs watching our games! I hate to say this but Oklahoma State and Baylor may be the only two Big XII schools that are of any value football wise and we are far and away the top school because of our ratings, being in the top twenty eyeballs wise! Sorry Kansas, you think you are worthy but NOT WITH A DUMPSTER FIRE FOOTBALL PROGRAM!
CaliforniaCowboy
maybe they could now use the Rose Bowl for the B1G conference championship, since all the probable candidates are now in one conference... LOL

wasn't it just a couple of months ago that the Rose Bowl alliance was so important that the playoff could not be expanded to 12 teams? SMH
NJAggie
Well #1 is highly unlikely, #2 is extremely remote, #3 is the only real possibility and is probably about to unfold.

The PAC can wrap up business at the end of next year and all the 7-8 schools left can be brought in. Oregon and Washington are probably going B1G next. Stanford might be ND's entry partner as well. The remaining PAC schools will be looking and the Big XII should take them as they call up. Take one and the PAC is dead.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Actually think #1 isn't so far fetched. I hate it, but I do think the SEC will look to further expand if the B1G expands. Thought being there will only be two super leagues.
Crazed_Stallion
The big XII is no longer a P5 conference. OSU HAS to leave to stay any sort of relevant.
Crazed_Stallion
They have national championship basketball. That's all that matters.
NJAggie
Expansion in and of itself is not something that increases revenue so the SEC expanding with anyone on the table in the Big XII or PAC is highly unlikely. Yes we are getting two superconferences, but they are looking to maintain the full 131 schools in the group if it splits away, and have it as a backdrop for the CFP they'll always win.

The B1G will probably grab another pair of PAC schools (UW & Oregon). Our leadership just needs to take the best group of PAC schools that apply up the number they think they can sell to the networks.
Joe Khatib
This s about FOOTBALL!!! Villanova and Georgetown have National Championships in Basketball! Football is 80% of the pot!
NJAggie
Well the votes in and USC has already put out a press release. Realignment 2022 is alive and rolling. PAC leaders meeting. Probably going to approach Big XII about a merger.
Joe Khatib
Poor Lincoln Riley, I wonder what his next landing spot will be!!!
jrod1978
I think Oregon and Washington are off to the Big 10 and the Big 12 adds Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah.
Of course, who the hell knows at this point.
NJAggie
It'll be interesting to see, but I bet he likes this move.
NJAggie
I'm up in the air about CU. They are a bad AD, and maybe a Stanford or Oregon State would be a better option.
TUSKAPOKE

My best answer: Who the Hell knows? We have been screwing around with Bowlsby's goodbye tour and caught once again with our pants down, sitting on the toilet, and not BMing while naming a new commissioner that is getting handed a late seat at the children's table with a weak hand in a high stakes poker game. The new commissioner should have been on board last year after Bowlsby became Sankey's boy. We are going to get our arses handed to us because the game was still being played and we had a retired in place commissioner pointing fingers to help save his legacy and inviting in so-so football universities. We deserve it and so does the rest of the Big 12 for not being more aggressive in forcing the leadership change faster. After the Shorthorn/Sewerner debacle, Bowlsby should have been terminated for cause and shown the door. The Big 12 leadership did too little too late. GO POKES....TRY TO SURVIVE!!!!
CaliforniaCowboy
I think you are spot on, as much as all of that upsets me
Darth Vader
I think this is the most realistic option. It's about growing the pie and creating a conference that TV networks want to bid on. Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah provide 100% saturation in 3 separate tv markets with over 15 million population. Utah provides a premium rivalry game with BYU and ASU/Arizona could be a great game if they can get their acts together. Arizona, ASU, and Colorado have a lot of work to do as far as improving their football programs, but it's all about the TV markets. All three schools also have a lot of potential and room to grow their programs, and none of them, including Utah, are at risk of being poached. I don't trust Oregon or Washington, as I think they'd bolt for the Big the first chance they get. Cal and Stanford literally laughed at us last year during the merger speculation, so they can dry on the vine for all I care. I seriously doubt WSU and Oregon State offer enough to move the needle.
TUSKAPOKE
Well thanks....I appreciate that....Hope all is well out west.
CaliforniaCowboy
a merger with the 12Pac would be disasterous.... IMO

at best we need to be picked up by the B1G... that is the absolute best scenario, geographically, politically, financially, et al.

at worst pick up Oregon and Utah only. Maybe Az State for the Phoenix market, and maybe San Diego State for the California market (not Cal, not Stanford).

best bet... stand pat and take nobody, let the swamp corrode for a couple more years, then pick up Oregon, Utah, Clemson and Florida State.
Crazed_Stallion
It's not ALL about football. Kansas brings eyeballs that OSU doesn't. Facts are facts.
Polston31
How do you know it would be disastrous? A guess? Someone told you? You made it up? Please use facts or ask your mom
Orangeheart72
My best shot today, knowing nothing about what's going to happen next like everyone else, is make a play for Colorado, (ask Nebraska but doubtful), Utah, Oregon State and either Pittsburg or San Diego or Arizona St.
Joe Khatib
Bull****, in 2010 when the four Texas schools and OU and OSU nearly moved to the Pac Kansas wasnt even on the radar to be considered, they were thrown to the damn curb and they had just won the basketball Title a couple of years earlier. Football eyeballs are what it is all about unless you can sell NYC or LA market! THOSE ARE THE FACTS!!!
Polston31
UPDATE: some people said some stuff but nothing news worthy all speculation
NJAggie
Crazed_Stallion said:

It's not ALL about football. Kansas brings eyeballs that OSU doesn't. Facts are facts.
It is all about football. KU to the B1G is a Phog Pipe Dream. They are terrible in everything else. Don't have the academics (even with the AAU), and the bring no eyeballs. Basketball is 10% of your product it is insignificant.
NJAggie
Right and a year ago it was OSU & TCU that got any consideration from other conferences.

No ones leaving the Big XII, and we do have a chance to add some good schools if we raid the PAC. We just have to wait for them, you can't initiate the action.

Oregon, Washington (and some reports say the B1G is done) are the best options. After them are Stanford, Washington State, Cal, Arizona State by viewership. We can just look at programs and I'd think Arizona State and Arizona or Utah are the ones most likely to be paired up with Oregon and Washington if they don't go B1G.
Astropoke
It is important to remember that Bowlsby was AD at Stanford. He may very well make sure they have a landing spot.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Joe Khatib said:

Bull****, in 2010 when the four Texas schools and OU and OSU nearly moved to the Pac Kansas wasnt even on the radar to be considered, they were thrown to the damn curb and they had just won the basketball Title a couple of years earlier. Football eyeballs are what it is all about unless you can sell NYC or LA market! THOSE ARE THE FACTS!!!

Hell, KU is not much value to the B12. Can't imagine anyone else would have them. Think about it this way. If the B12 had layoffs, would KU be on the keeper list, or hit the road list?
OT
Goes to show that it's a complex world.
Looks like we are well positioned to build the 3rd best Power 4 Conf.

Option 5:
Drop: Cinci, Houston, TCU, KU
Keep: BYU, UCF
Add Pac: UO, UW, ASU, CU, Stanford, UC-B
Optional: UU, UA
We get the entire Western US
GumbyFromPokeyLand
NJAggie said:

Expansion in and of itself is not something that increases revenue so the SEC expanding with anyone on the table in the Big XII or PAC is highly unlikely. Yes we are getting two superconferences, but they are looking to maintain the full 131 schools in the group if it splits away, and have it as a backdrop for the CFP they'll always win.

The B1G will probably grab another pair of PAC schools (UW & Oregon). Our leadership just needs to take the best group of PAC schools that apply up the number they think they can sell to the networks.

If the SEC has determined 16 is the max under any and every scenario, you're probably correct. But who would ever make that bet? Not me.
CaliforniaCowboy
Polston31 said:

How do you know it would be disastrous? A guess? Someone told you? You made it up? Please use facts or ask your mom
why don't you stop playing the fool?

I clearly said "in my opinion". (IMO)

my opinion is based on prior posts and analysis previously posted in this forum, I can repeat it if you are honestly interested, but I suspect that you are not interested in civil conversation.

My mother has been dead for over 20 years, it's just not right that you should be disrespecting her too.

CaliforniaCowboy
Folks, CAL is a bad program, they can be kicked to the curb along with Colorado.

Stanford is also a has-been program, (for FB), they even reduced the size of their stadium in 2005. (from 89,000 to 50,424)

GumbyFromPokeyLand
Here's what OSU (and the B12?) should do.

Wait. If the B1G or SEC wants to expand further to 18 or 20 teams to create 2 super conferences, the other will follow suit. In that case, I'd expect a call asking us to join one of the two. If neither makes a move (before the B1G tv deal is finalized) to expand further, then both will be at 16. The B12 should then add 4 PAC teams (UT, OR, ASU and AZ?) to create our own 16 team league. At that point, I'd expect the ACC (ND + ??) to follow suit.

Voila, four 16 team conferences, 64 school premier Division of college football.
Polston31
Remember you doing that same thing?
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Polston31 said:

Remember you doing that same thing?

C'mon man. Didn't you know this is a "do as I say, not as I do" forum?
Polston31
Ahhhh that makes a ton of sense
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.