Story Poster
Photo by Nebraska Public Media
Oklahoma State Football

Zane Flores Does All He Can, But Kicker Steals the Show in 43-41 State Title Loss

November 21, 2022

(Video with this story came Courtesy of WOWL-TV in Omaha, Nebraska)

Oklahoma State 2023 quarterback commitment Zane Flores played the final game of his prep career for Gretna High School on Monday night in the Nebraska Class A State Championship in Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska. It was a rematch of the same title match-up from a year ago where Gretna won 7-3, but had to later vacate the title due to an ineligible player. This year on the way Flores became the all-time leading passer by yards and by completions in leading the Dragons back to the Championship Game. On Monday night Flores did all he could, but in the end the kicker for Omana Westside became the MVP with a kicking performance for the ages.  Tristan Alvano hit his fifth field goal of the game with no time left on the game clock for a 43-41 Westside win.

Nebraska Public Media
Flores warms up at the State Championship.

Flores completed 24-of-37 passing for 414-yards and three touchdowns. He also threw three interceptions, but it was Flores and his arm and legs that kept Gretna in the game they never led until there was 1:55 left on the clock. 

Trailing 7-0 early, Flores hit his first touchdown pass of the game for 52-yards to Tyler Boganowski to tie the game. Then Westside spurted off to a 21-7 advantage before Flores struck again. This time he connected with Blayke Moore down the middle of the field for an 80-yard touchdown pass. Just before halftime, Flores guided the Dragons offense on a long drive and finished it with a two-yard touchdown pass to Etah Stuhr. 

At halftime Westside led 31-21.

In the second half, Flores continued to lead Gretna back and scored on a tough, determined not to be denied score zone run of seven-yards as he dragged defenders into the end zone. Flores ran 10 times for 64-yards and that touchdown that made it 34-27. 

Nebraska Public Media
Flores set to throw and hit Moore on the fi80-yard touchdown.

Finally with 1:55 left and after Flores hit Moore again, this time on a 54-yard pass to the Westside 14-yard-line the Dragons took the lead. Running back Isaiah Webber scored on the next play and the extra point put Gretna up 41-40.

Omaha Westside had too much time and drove the ball down for Alvano to hit the game winner from 45-yards on the last play. Alvano earlier in the game hit field goals of 44, 50, 27, and 42-yards. It was a record for a Nebraska State Championship Game. 

Still, Flores was responsible for 478-yards and four touchdowns in his last game for Gretna and he holds those all-time Nebraska passing records. 

He is scheduled to sign with OSU in December and be on campus for the spring semester.

Discussion from...

Zane Flores Does All He Can, But Kicker Steals the Show in 43-41 State Title Loss

7,118 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GumbyFromPokeyLand
rob.shuey@outlook.com
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Remember, sign that dang kicker! He could have made them from 60 yds!
But Flores looks really good!
Joe Khatib
Flores has a live arm for sure!!!!!!!!!!!
Crazed_Stallion
Forgot where he threw like 4 picks. Can't find his targets, can't throw over the middle. Nebraska football isn't great. He just chunked it deep and found his guy sometimes. Literally played 7V7 in a HS game. Kid won't see the field.
Crazed_Stallion
Robert Allen
Staff
Obviously, didn't watch close enough as he hit several hitch, stick, and crossing routes. Many of those in the second half. That was a good team they played and give them credit. Also, there were four passes that were right in the hands of receivers and dropped. He should have been 28-of-37.
Crazed_Stallion
The dude play nobody in Nebraska. Name a QB worth a darn from Nebraska the last 10-15years. They play bad football, the competition is gross there. Also, look at the terrible camp circuit the kid had in spring and summer. He is moving back in the pack not forward.
gary121853
RA....regrettably...have zero objectivity when it comes to OSU fb program and subscribers
OSUgary
Robert Allen
Staff
I've seen the kid throw in person. He was invited to Elite 11 and while not being named one of the 11, he won and placed in several of the competitions. Go back and look at what he has done. The all-time leading quarterback in passing yards and completions in Nebraska. Do your homework and be objective and then we can have an intelligent conversation. Pop off without doing the research and it doesn't matter. I'm not trying to pick a fight, just trying to be objective. Not sure your comment was.
Joe Khatib
gary121853 said:

RA....regrettably...have zero objectivity when it comes to OSU fb program and subscribers
Wow looks like Robert challenged you to a throw down bud!!!
gary121853
RA, my 'objectivity' comment was not specific to Zane Flores ... (I think he is a bright spot in the class and well represents the type of recruit we want in the program)
rather, the recruiting topic in general. you are not objective ...nor the coaching topic ...
OSUgary
lloydo
Great performance but three interceptions & they lost.
We have the replacement for Spencer all ready to go!
CaliforniaCowboy
OMG

now the Crazed sooner Pony and Gary are both arguing with Robert.

what in the hell has happened around here?

come on guys, show some decorum.
Pokes4158
Like you are one to talk….
gary121853
CaliforniaCowboy said:

OMG

Cali.... you got to be kidding me? I'm not arguing... rather, stating my opinion regarding objective, comprehensive reporting covering ALL the tough topics. An yes, Pokes Report = RA. Personalized or not.

You routinely promote yourself (in your post) as doing just the same. Stop being so self-rightous for crying out loud ...(lol)
OSUgary
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

Like you are one to talk….
Yeah, like I am the one to talk. I have commented on some of the topics RA wrote about, but I have never challenged his knowledge or his allegiance to OSU, ON HIS OWN FREAKING SITE>

what the heck is the matter with you guys? If you don't trust Robert perhaps you're not in the right place.
CaliforniaCowboy
gary121853 said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

OMG

Cali.... you got to be kidding me? I'm not arguing... rather, stating my opinion regarding objective, comprehensive reporting covering ALL the tough topics. An yes, Pokes Report = RA. Personalized or not.

You routinely promote yourself (in your post) as doing just the same. Stop being so self-rightous for crying out loud ...(lol)
no, I'm not kidding, knock it off.

RA gets to decide what topics he covers, not you. He deserves no criticisms from the likes of you about what he reports on.

I do not promote myself. Grow up man. Let's just have grown up discussions for once, without you guys making every thread personal about somebody. First you attack Robert, and now you turn your ugliness on me for defending him.

Just stop talking about other posters. Please. I know you can do better.

Pokes4158
I can't understand all that jumbled mess. Try some proper English or highlight your points so it's understandable maybe sheesh
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

The dude play nobody in Nebraska. Name a QB worth a darn from Nebraska the last 10-15years. They play bad football, the competition is gross there. Also, look at the terrible camp circuit the kid had in spring and summer. He is moving back in the pack not forward.

Dude, you've spent the entire season bashing players, position groups, coaches and now recruits while also thumping your chest when you get a negative but outrageous prediction correct. Certainly everyone is entitled to an opinion, but your bashing and negative takes without acknowledgement of either good play or coaching is unwarranted. Do everyone a favor and leave.
gary121853
CaliforniaCowboy said:

gary121853 said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

OMG

RA gets to decide what topics he covers, not you. He deserves no criticisms from the likes of you about what he reports on.

I do not promote myself. Grow up man. Let's just have grown up discussions for once, without you guys making every thread personal about somebody. First you attack Robert, and now you turn your ugliness on me for defending him.

Cali.... you are in need of some serious therapy/counseling... I suggest you confer with your healthcare plan and seek it out sooner vs later .. while you are at it... buy a bigger mirror because the one you got now does not begin to cover the size of ahole you must be .... lol
OSUgary
Pokes4158
Can confirm cali=major A hole
Pokes4158
You're not kidding?!?!?!? Oh man
Joe Khatib
MCaliforniaCowboy said:

gary121853 said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

y OMG

He is a Nucking Futs Crimson and Cream type who pays Robert $100 to $ 125 for Permium Membership , in which some of THAT MONEY GOES TO SUPPRT OSU, talk about HILARIOUS!!!
Joe Khatib
Joe Khatib said:

MCaliforniaCowboy said:

gary121853 said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

y OMG

He is a Nucking Futs Crimson and Cream type who pays Robert $100 to $ 125 for Permium Membership , in which some of THAT MONEY GOES TO SUPPRT OSU, talk about HILARIOUS!!!
Here comes his arse licker Cowboy "RED" to rescue the poor Jabroni!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
GumbyFromPokeyLand
gary121853 said:

Just what is the point of your post? Whether RA is objective or not, he runs an OSU site that charges $$$ for premium content. Is he not allowed to comment or have an opinion? Are you seriously stacking up lay persons opinions and information against a guy whose entire livelihood is OSU sports? Get a clue.
CaliforniaCowboy
gary121853 said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

Cali.... you are in need of some serious therapy/counseling... I suggest you confer with your healthcare plan and seek it out sooner vs later .. while you are at it... buy a bigger mirror because the one you got now does not begin to cover the size of ahole you must be .... lol
that's really vulgar.... you must be a really nice person.... gag

I didn't see you calling Gumby vulgar names for him saying the same thing
1slowpoke
At the Bedlam game last Saturday I was talking with some friendly OU fans. Sounds like Jeff Lebby OC at OU may get a HC job such as Ole Miss and if that happens they believe Jackson Arnold their 5* and #4 ranked QB may de-commits from OU. They were not very confident and afraid OSU was going to have a second half similar to ND game until they got the last interception.

RA I see that Arnold went to Denton ISD and OSU gets many recruits from there so would we have interest or offer him if he de-commits from OU?
James W Carpenter
CaliforniaCowboy
1slowpoke said:

At the Bedlam game last Saturday I was talking with some friendly OU fans. Sounds like Jeff Lebby OC at OU may get a HC job such as Ole Miss and if that happens they believe Jackson Arnold their 5* and #4 ranked QB may de-commits from OU. They were not very confident and afraid OSU was going to have a second half similar to ND game until they got the last interception.

RA I see that Arnold went to Denton ISD and OSU gets many recruits from there so would we have interest or offer him if he de-commits from OU?
Kiffen strongly denies that he is leaving Ole Miss..... so there is that.

as a consideration for others, we try not to spread baseless rumors on this site.

Robert Allen
Staff
I believe Oklahoma State is extremely happy with the quarterback in their class in Zane Flores. He is immensely talented and committed early and stayed with his pledge through the pursuit of a lot of other programs, including the likes of Notre Dame and Ohio State.
Crazed_Stallion
Whom never gave him a scholarship offer.
Bowling Green, Kansas, Indiana, Oklahoma State there is y'all's offer list just so everyone knows.
Duke Silver
Crazed_Stallion said:

Bowling Green, Kansas, Indiana, Oklahoma State there is y'all's offer list just so everyone knows.

Thanks goon
Robert Allen
Staff
Along with Missouri, Oregon State, Pittsburgh, and Washington and remember he was committed to Oklahoma State in March before some offers went out. However, it doesn't matter. What matter is how talented the prospect is. Flores is talented. I'll stake my reputation on this kid. Just as I did Weeden, Rudolph, and Sanders. Nice trio that I said would be franchise quarterbacks.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

Who on OSUs roster is worthy of your praise?
Crazed_Stallion
Doesn't have any offers. Interest yes, but offers are the ones that I listed. Just checked again, he also has one from Kstate. This kid isn't that big of a recruit. It's ok to not make him out to be Robert. Maybe they have something. I don't see it and neither did the Elite 11 that he didn't place in.
Crazed_Stallion
Lost of people actually. I'm just not into pumping someone that doesn't have all these "offers", interest and offers are totally different. If he was the greatest ever in Nebraska you're telling me that Big Red would just have an offer for him. Come on, we aren't that naive.
Joe Khatib
Go back 5o Orange Power, where you belong!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.