Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

Fix the Run Game - Part 1 Personnel

December 29, 2022

STILLWATER – It’s officially the offseason, but a reminder as I write this, there are 15 Oklahoma State players and staff in Tucson, Arizona, at the airport who are working to get home. Oklahoma State had to leave approximately 30 players and staff and worked to get them home because of the messy travel cancellations and issues of the past week. A shout out to those on staff that stayed with players and are making sure they get out.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Fix the Run Game - Part 1 Personnel

7,143 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
TUSKAPOKE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed......Much improvement along the OL and look at some different blocking schemes. Thanks RA. GO POKES!!!
Eclectic
Tucson??
I thot we had 3 decent running backs this year. None really outperformed the other. That tells me the RB dept isn't the squeaky wheel.
Orangeheart72
Robert, difficult for you to perhaps comment openly on, but lots of criticism of Dickey from fans (a few who seem to legitimately have OL experience/knowledge) and even some players or at least now former players.
I know he's only now completing his 4th recruiting staff and our OL developmental process takes a lot more time than UT's 5* recruiting. But your thoughts would be interesting to me if you can speak any to it in an open manner.
Eclectic
The facts are, without Sanders we have a terrible run game and a terrible pass game. We also have one of the worst defenses (statistically) in D1 football, especially against the run. Again, our problems are much deeper than the RB's....
DontTreadOnPete
Is Part 2 of the series, "Coaching" ?
Crazed_Stallion
Easy now, that's people's families.
PokeRob
Would be nice if we had a center who could snap the ball where the QB can make a play without worrying about just getting a decent snap.
Legally-Lit
Defense plays a lot better when they aren't on the field 75 percent of the game. They put together lots of stops in pretty much each game except for the two Kansas meltdowns.

If they do better limiting the big plays, they'll be a strong unit next year.

Run game is the biggest issue and it's not close. It has an effect on many aspects concerning both sides of the ball. It must be fixed.
Joe Khatib
Sorry about that 6-7 finish but THEY TRIED REAL HARD!
Orangeheart72
Joe Khatib said:

Sorry about that 6-7 finish but THEY TRIED REAL HARD!

Where is post?
Joe Khatib
Simple fix for the offensive line. Need tough guy, mo fos, bad a****s with nasty temperaments, whatever description you want to use! Brooks and the Cooper kid out of Texas State fit that bill as does Cole Birmingham (whose injury killed us this year)! and Hunter Antnony, although he still has to decide if he comes bck or begins his pro career! NEED TO FIND TWO OR THREE MORE IN THAT CATEGORY!
Joe Khatib
Post??? What are you talking about! It is right above in the comments section!
Calpoke
I guess Robert meant Deondre Jackson and not Desmon Jackson haha! Offensive line is definitely the most significant issue with this team and has been for several years now. I don't pretend to know what the problem is but I imagine it involves a number of issues including schemes, players, coaching, and recruiting. Until it is drastically improved we will not be any better than a 8-5 team.
Pistolp
Crazed_Stallion said:

Easy now, that's people's families.
I'm sure you know, but asking and speculating on a message board is fine. Asking in a post game press conference is not, period.
CaliforniaCowboy
Calpoke said:

I guess Robert meant Deondre Jackson and not Desmon Jackson haha! Offensive line is definitely the most significant issue with this team and has been for several years now. I don't pretend to know what the problem is but I imagine it involves a number of issues including schemes, players, coaching, and recruiting. Until it is drastically improved we will not be any better than a 8-5 team.

very interesting that the Oline has been bad for several years now and won't be better than 8-5, when just last year we had a 1,200 yard rusher, played in the conference championship, had a 12-2 record and finished ranked #7. Last year. Just last year.

Several years? WTH?
rcfb
Unfortunate we lost the Yale center and LSU TE. We gotta do better than this in Oline recruiting. UNLV transfer won't play this year and need a year under Coach Glass. We need one experienced center and guard who can back up Brooks and Birmingham.

RB room I thought is full. Deondre Jackson, Ollie Gordon, Sean Taylor, Jaden Nixon, if we get one more, we lose Jaden Nixon for portal feels like.

Dunn becoming OC made his WR coaching duties rough. And this years WR bunch showed that. Not great route running, below average hands, no separation. Need improvements there.

Need Armstrong, can't depend on Rangel who looks like he needs more time after his 0-3 start.
CaliforniaCowboy
rcfb said:

Unfortunate we lost the Yale center and LSU TE. We gotta do better than this in Oline recruiting. UNLV transfer won't play this year and need a year under Coach Glass. We need one experienced center and guard who can back up Brooks and Birmingham.

RB room I thought is full. Deondre Jackson, Ollie Gordon, Sean Taylor, Jaden Nixon, if we get one more, we lose Jaden Nixon for portal feels like.

Dunn becoming OC made his WR coaching duties rough. And this years WR bunch showed that. Not great route running, below average hands, no separation. Need improvements there.

Need Armstrong, can't depend on Rangel who looks like he needs more time after his 0-3 start.
I don't understand your reasoning on several of those paragraphs. RB room is severely lacking... we're hanging our hopes on a transfer that we know nothing about, and a couple of guys that played occasionally, but didn't really light things up (Gordon / Jackson). There's hope, but my goodness

I don't know about WR position, none of the guys seem to be the over-the-top guys we've had in the past (Dez / Blackmon / Washington, etc.). the slot guys are good, but the deep guys have had so many injuries that I can't get a good read on them. I think we have a good transfer coming in though from Wash State.

If we're counting on Armstrong for our fortunes, we're going to have a long season.... nothing against the kid, but it's about like Dru Brown... IMO.

I'm not sure what you're saying about the OLine. Aren't Brooks and Birmingham both tackles? I know we had brooks playing guard, but that was only because that gave us the best lineup.
What about Dalton Cooper coming in from Texas State? He was an all-conference LT. I think we're in decent shape on the OLine, we just need to find the right lineup, and avoid injuries like last year. One more player could help, but our tackles were the rough spots last year (Etienne / Springfield) and you didn't mention them at all.

247sports.com/Article/dalton-cooper-oklahoma-state-football-recruiting-2023-class-transfer-commit-profile-201019090/
Crazed_Stallion
Again with the injuries. Lol. Just stop, that didn't do anything. Our lack of recruiting OL and depth is what hurt them. Injuries had NOTHING to do with it. We can't even begin to really grade RBs as the DL lived in the backfield. This OL is trash and the coach is garbage. It has passed the old man by. Needs to go ASAP.
Duke Silver
Crazed_Stallion said:

Again with the injuries. Lol. Just stop, that didn't do anything. Our lack of recruiting OL and depth is what hurt them. Injuries had NOTHING to do with it. We can't even begin to really grade RBs as the DL lived in the backfield. This OL is trash and the coach is garbage. It has passed the old man by. Needs to go ASAP.
6-7 Not due to injuries plaguing your team, but because you were bad.
CaliforniaCowboy
Crazed_Stallion said:

again with the mindless bashing of the team with no evidence and supported only by BS. Just stop.

We had lack of depth because we had injuries... duh. give it up and go back to the big read board.

We had two guys leave, that did hurt depth. Two of the three guys we brought in through transfer/JUCO to bolster the departures did not contribute. That hurt depth. Stills and Godlevske ran out of eligibility, so we had some serious hole to plug to begin with.

The guys that were expected to start following last season (Birmingham and Woodard) were both missing DUE TO INJURY.

You're so freaking misguided it's disgusting. Just stop.

Tell me about next year's Oline - you can't. You don't know. Just stop

Our rushing was HORRIBLE LAST YEAR when Warren went out and the 2 RBs behind him both left (Brown, Jackson), leaving only the 4th stringer Richardson. So yes, we can determine the strength of the RBs based on lots and lots of factors. I like Ollie, he was a freshman and did not beat out our prior 4th stringer. Fact.

So sorry that I had to resort to actual facts and performances to easily destroy your nonsensical opinion.
rcfb
I disagree with your points on RB room lacking, Gordon/Seaon Taylor are good enough, Deandre and Nixon can be good back ups. The issue with RBs are not them, its personnel and Oline.

I dont disagree with your WR comment

If you are comparing Armstrong to Dru Brown, I dont have anything to say to you on that

Brooks and Birmingham are guards, Birmingham played tackle because we had other injuries/dismissals/portal loss.
Brooks has ability to play tackle, but doesnt have the size. And like you said Brooks playing guard gives us better interior.

Decent Tackles: Austin , Dalton Cooper, Etienne, Springfield
Decent guards : Birmingham, Brooks, thats it. We need a decent back up.

Our rough sports were center, LG and RT. Wilson, Joe and Springfield were really bad,
Crazed_Stallion
Lack of depth because we recruit FCS level guys. Sure we get lucky sometimes and hit. If they would stop that BS it would be different.
Joe Khatib
rcfb said:

I disagree with your points on RB room lacking, Gordon/Seaon Taylor are good enough, Deandre and Nixon can be good back ups. The issue with RBs are not them, its personnel and Oline.

I dont disagree with your WR comment

If you are comparing Armstrong to Dru Brown, I dont have anything to say to you on that

Brooks and Birmingham are guards, Birmingham played tackle because we had other injuries/dismissals/portal loss.
Brooks has ability to play tackle, but doesnt have the size. And like you said Brooks playing guard gives us better interior.

Decent Tackles: Austin , Dalton Cooper, Etienne, Springfield
Decent guards : Birmingham, Brooks, thats it. We need a decent back up.

Our rough sports were center, LG and RT. Wilson, Joe and Springfield were really bad,
You are missing one name, who frankly insiders believe should have played, if in a limited role, this year! Davis Dotson. He and Austin Kawecki stood out among the freshman lineman and some feel should have seen playing time! Both can play tackle or guard. This info comes from the two guys who evaluate and help coach these guys!
Joe Khatib
Duke Silver said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, oh man Duke Silver you are using the SHARP BLADE to skewer this hide! LOL! You realize that is their first losing season since the days of JOHN BLAKE!
Duke Silver
Joe Khatib said:

Duke Silver said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, oh man Duke Silver you are using the SHARP BLADE to skewer this hide! LOL

He will continue to think we don't know what he is
Crazed_Stallion
Who is John Blake?
Eclectic
Did I say the run game wasn't a problem? No! I said the RB's weren't the problem and it's much deeper than that. And the defensive stats don't lie. Our D hasn't been able to accomplish the basics all season (tackling), regardless of time spent on the field. They have been lost since day 1.
OSUPSYCHO
Well when your center is working on just one leg because we have no backup for him that is sometimes what you get on snaps.
Joe Khatib
Crazed_Stallion said:

Who is John Blake?
Back em up Boo says Barry Switzer!!! He was Howard Schnellenburgers replacement! LOLOLOLOLOL!
Crazed_Stallion
So an UO coach? You sure do know a lot about that university.
Joe Khatib
Crazed_Stallion said:

So an UO coach? You sure do know a lot about that university.
Ummm yeah, I live in the State of OKLAHOMA and consume media!!! I can't help it that it gets shoved down my throat whether I like it or not! You must live in a van down by the River??? LOLOLOLOLOL
Crazed_Stallion
Crazed_Stallion
Sure you can. Turn it off. You just love hearing that crimson media. Your so cute.
Joe Khatib
Yup, you sure can, notice I DON'T LIVE ON MY RIVALS WEBSITE!!! LOLOLOLOL
CaliforniaCowboy
rcfb said:

we're simply not going to agree on that. Sure our OLine this year had issues, which should be resolved.

I'm not discounting Gordon, he improved and got better throughout the season, but he's not yet what we've grown to expect at RB U. We'll see more next year.

Taylor we have no freaking idea, but we'll find out. Just because Warren worked out doesn't mean Taylor will.

The over riding fact was Richardson was our best back, and he couldn't crack the top 3 previously.

I'm not one that is going to automatically promote some guy to to the next Chris Carson, or Toston just because.

I have hope for the RB position for next year, but right now, it's simply something that I'm hoping for.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.